Article source: VLAB
The video below is a panel discussion held at Stanford GSB: Cemex Auditorium at the Knight Management Center on October 22nd, 2014. Moderator is Amaresh Kollipara, Principal, Space Angels Network, and Managing Partner, Earth2Orbit. The panelists are:
- Pavel Machalek, CEO, Spaceknow
- Theresa Condor, Vice-President Sales & Business Development, Spire
- Robbie Schingler, Co-Founder, President and COO, Planet Labs
- Shay Har-Noy, Ph.D, Senior Director – Geo-spatial Big Data, DigitalGlobe
- Julian Mann, Co-Founder and Vice-President Product Management, Skybox Imaging (acquired by Google)
Dramatic disruptions to Earth observation are being delivered by ambitious startups that are launching large fleets of small, interconnected satellites and developing cutting-edge analytics. The number of earth-gazing satellites has nearly doubled in 2014 alone. With views into daily global activity being refreshed at a faster rate than ever before, selling raw pixels and signals is not enough to satisfy industry demands. It is these startups that are changing how we use Big Data in business here on earth.