Susan Smith has worked as an editor and writer in the technology industry for over 16 years. As an editor she has been responsible for the launch of a number of technology trade publications, both in print and online. Currently, Susan is the Editor of GISCafe and AECCafe, as well as those sites’ … More »
Maptitude 2018 Includes Updated Free Health Care Data
August 22nd, 2018 by Susan Smith
By updating to Maptitude 2018, users will receive the following free health care data:
Density Grid showing the distributions of Dentists in the Phoenix area
- Five million medical and healthcare providers across the USA have been updated and can be added to any Maptitude 2018 map
- New Primary Care Service Area (PCSA) boundary layer with hundreds of Census variables and healthcare statistics from the Health Resources and Services Administration
- Three updated layers: Healthcare Organization (locations of facilities); Healthcare Provider (individual providers); HospitalThe two Healthcare layers include the taxonomy codes and descriptions for each location, e.g., General Acute Care Hospital Children (282NC2000X), and Registered Nurse (163W00000X), and you can filter locations by Medicare charges and payments
Density Grid showing the distributions of Dentists in the Phoenix area
Maptitude senior analyst Chris Turner responded to some questions about the company’s new free health care data option.
- Is the free healthcare data available for patient use as well or limited to health care providers?
- Due to patient privacy laws, patient information is not included with the healthcare data download. However, many of the providers have information about their Medicare Services included in the download, matched up with their NPI to the “Medicare Fee‐For Service Provider Utilization & Payment Data” giving information on the number of services and beneficiaries.
- Will the free healthcare data provide ideas on how to plan where to put new emergency care centers, set up mobile care units, etc?
- Yes the healthcare data will show where healthcare professionals are currently located, which can be combined with the extensive demographic information already in the software to accurately and quickly assess the coverage of certain areas and pinpoint those underserved areas that could use extra help. Maptitude is widely used to better target care interventions, to reduce readmissions, and to help hospitals qualify for incentives for service improvement
- What types of analytics will you be using with the data and what types of analyses will you run?
- All the varied analytic tools of the Maptitude software can make use of this data to gain key insights. Some key examples would be using the Drive Time rings tools to analyze coverage areas for a network of providers or the density grid to analyze underserved areas.
- With each location, will there be a breakdown of available services such as for opticians, what types of specialized care available in a given area?
- Each provider record contains their primary taxonomy and up to 15 other taxonomy codes so you can easily filter by specializations to identify level of service for specific types of healthcare.
- How do you think this will revolutionize the distribution and availability of healthcare?
- Maptitude remains committed to providing access to a wide range of data sources for the same low price point, making it easier and cheaper than ever to combine these data sources and draw insight from how they interact. The provision of the entire healthcare data landscape in a mapping format is unprecedented.
- Is this available in other countries or only the U.S.?
- No, but if there is significant interest in this data set as we believe there is, we will be looking into developing the same data for other countries
- Does the data interface with other GIS software offerings, or does it need to do that?
- The data is downloaded in the standard Maptitude format but there is no need to take it anywhere else. All the tools needed to perform simple yet insightful analysis are contained already in the Maptitude software.
- Is the data available on the cloud and is it a private cloud?
- The data is available in the standard Maptitude format, which can be installed to a desktop or put on a virtual server such as Citrix.
Number of Primary Care Physicians per 10,000 population for the Primary Care Service Areas
Additionally, Maptitude is a robust and very accessible professional health care mapping tool. Organizations can use Maptitude to take advantage of the geographic elements underpinning successful health care networks and medical services provision.
Maptitude costs only US$695 and is packaged as a one-stop-solution, shipping with all the tools and data required to allow hospital groups, managed care organizations, employer groups, and third party administrators (TPAs) to better operate in the competitive environment for delivering health care.
Radius Analysis of Optometrists within 5 miles of a central location
Maptitude allows you to map the differences geographically in population density, age distribution, disease prevalence, race, ethnicity, poverty and the ability to access care. Maptitude‘s geocoding and geographic information system (GIS) tools are critical in linking patient and population locations to local demographics to explore these relationships.
Research in health care is supported by Maptitude GIS in health care supports research in the fields of public health, disease mapping, and epidemiology. Maps help to visualize health care information and enhance the understanding of the health care landscape. Maptitude mapping software enables users to find data about hospitals, health workers, at risk populations, and more:
- Map specific health variables
- Understand the overall health and morbidity of a population
- Look for clustering or locally elevated risks
- Analyze health care coverage to identify gaps or inefficiencies
- Examine patterns of health care utilization and/or access to care
- Match a network of health care specialists and providers to the needs of the population
- Offer members, patients and others “provider-locator” applications to help locate and select health care providers (Maptitude for the Web)
- Choose optimal locations for new hospitals, outpatient clinics, or offices
- Deliver in-home medical services more efficiently
Public health data include the locations of hospitals, Maptitude includes one free Country Package of your choice. When you get the United States Country Package, you get demographic data from the state level all the way down to the Census Tract level. These data include population, income, and poverty variables, as well as fields describing the population with public, private, and no health coverage (both totals and by employment status), and the population with disabilities (by age group). See the U.S. Demographic Data tab on the United States Country Package page for more information.
- Caliper also offers five additional health clinics, other health care facilities, physicians, and other health care providers health related data sets for free to Maptitude users. These data are in Caliper’s geographic file format and require Maptitude mapping software to open them.
Tags: data, geospatial, GIS, Google, GPS, health care, location, mapping, maps, mobile
Categories: analytics, Big Data, data, field GIS, geospatial, GIS, Google, GPS, health, location based services, mapping, Maptitude, mobile, mobile mapping, photogrammetry