Dr. Ron S. Jarmin and other spokespeople from the U.S. Census Bureau spoke at the Esri User Conference 2019 Plenary Session about the enormous responsibility of the U.S. Census Bureau to administer the constitutionally mandated count of the U.S. population, a task that is done every ten years since 1790.
Archive for the ‘U.S. Census’ Category
While it’s still early for most of us to be thinking about the 2020 Census, it is not too early for the U.S. Census and most technology providers of Census software to be considering how to prepare.
Michael Ratcliffe, Asst. Division Chief, Geographic Standards, Criteria, Research, and Quality, Geography Division, US Census Bureau, spoke with GISCafe Voice about what the 2020 Census requires, and the Local Update of Census Addresses (LUCA).
With regard to the 2020 Census, an accurate address file for each state is essential, otherwise each state could lose millions of dollars in federal funding. It can also affect state budget obviously, and number of seats in Congress (determined by count).
What are ways the Census can ensure everyone gets counted in 2020?
- Our goal is a complete and accurate census.
- An accurate count helps determine how the nation allocates tax dollars to pay for services used by the entire local population — citizens and noncitizens alike and accurate data are crucial for determining how many congressional seats each state gets.
- We need communities to help us spread the word that all census responses are confidential and we will continue working with trusted voices in local communities to encourage people to participate.
What are any new requirements for the 2020 LUCA program for identifying individuals and how do they contrast with past requirements?
Will townships, tribes, cities and counties submit their Census figures to the state or submit them independently?
- The Census is self-response only. Census numbers are not compiled by any organization other than the Census Bureau. Residents should provide their 2020 Census responses to the Census Bureau only.
Will citizenship status be included in this collection?
- Please see the S. Department of Commerce statementand the Census Bureau’s report on the planned questions for the 2020 Census and American Community Survey. If you have any additional questions, please contact the Commerce Department’s Office of Public Affairs: email@example.com. (202) 482-4883
Caliper has announced that the State Legislative Districts Data Product is now available for the entire USA or for a single U.S. state. Three area databases reflect the latest boundaries for Congressional Districts, State House/Assembly (lower chamber) districts, and State Senate (upper chamber) districts, according to company materials.
This coming week, February 24-25, join more than 3,500 federal professionals to explore ground-breaking ways government uses geospatial technology to solve the world’s greatest challenges. GIS provides a platform like no other to integrate data, perform dynamic analysis, and then take action.
Partnerships, unmanned spacecraft, technologies and sensors were some of the topics covered in a panel discussion and press luncheon held at GEOINT Symposium 2015 in Washington D.C. recently, by Northrup Grumman.