~ New version brings TomTom navigation to even more smartphones ~
CONCORD, Mass. — (BUSINESS WIRE) — December 5, 2012 — Today, TomTom releases a new update to its Android app making it available to even more Android owners. The latest version of the application is now optimized for use with the latest and most popular smartphone handsets, including the Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC One X and Google Nexus 4.
New version of TomTom App brings TomTom navigation to even more smartphones (Photo: Business Wire)
In addition to supporting more than 200 of the newest Android devices, the update brings other improvements. The download manager has been improved and maps are now stored on the phone’s SD card (if available) to save valuable phone memory. The Driving View has also been updated, making the journey information clearer at a glance. In addition, postcode entry is more flexible and the app can find locations from the phone address book more reliably.
TomTom Navigation for Android v1.1 is available to download now from Google Play. TomTom’s introductory offer has been extended for the holiday season, which means customers can get the app at the special, discounted price of $37.99. People already navigating with the app can update free of charge.
Notes for editors
New features include:
TomTom Navigation for Android v1.1 is optimized for use on all smartphones with a screen resolution between 800 x 480 pixels and 1280 x 800 pixels. It will also run on most Android tablets.
More reliable content downloads
The download mechanism for maps has been improved. The app will complete a download without interruption, even when the user pushes the app to the background.
SD card map storage
The update stores downloaded maps to the device’s SD card by default, freeing up storage space on the smartphone or tablet.
[US only] Improved navigation to contacts
Now when drivers navigate to contacts, the app automatically selects the correct state so the driver doesn’t have to.
Other features of TomTom Navigation for Android:
- Fully offline and navigable map. High-resolution maps offer fast offline rendering and routing, avoiding high data roaming charges when used abroad.
- FREE Lifetime maps. Users will always have the latest map to ensure they get to their destination on time. Users will receive four free map updates per year for the life of the app.
- IQ Routes. The fastest routes, the most accurate and reliable arrival times at all times of day.
- HD Traffic. (available via in-app purchase) Live traffic updates help users to reach their destinations faster.
- Speed Cameras. (available via in-app purchase) Avoid speeding fines with real-time camera alerts.
- TomTom Places. Destination search results designed for drivers.
- Multitasking support. Clear turn-by-turn guidance while on the phone.
- Seamless integration. Integrates easily with Android smartphone contacts.
- Advanced Lane Guidance. Provides extra clarity when navigating difficult junctions. Helps drivers merge, exit and change lanes with confidence.
- Spoken Street Names. Allows drivers to keep their eyes on the road - spoken instructions now include street names, making turnings even clearer.
Founded in 1991, TomTom (AEX: TOM2) is a leading provider of navigation and location-based products and services.
TomTom maps, traffic information and navigation technology power automotive in-dash systems, mobile devices, web based applications and government and business solutions.
TomTom also designs and manufactures its own location-based products including portable navigation devices and fleet management solutions, as well as GPS-enabled sports watches.
Headquartered in Amsterdam, TomTom has 3,500 employees worldwide and
sells its products in over 35 countries.