Highly integrated power management unit with 4-A charger reduces board space 60 percent, boosts battery life in tablets and portable electronicsDALLAS, Feb. 4, 2013 — (PRNewswire) — Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today introduced the industry's first single-chip, front-end power management unit (PMU) for battery-powered applications based on ARM Cortex A9 and A15 processors. The TPS65090 power management integrated circuit integrates all power management functions and maximizes power efficiency to extend battery run-time in tablets and other portable electronics by 20 percent, simplify design, and reduce board space by 60 percent compared to a discrete approach. To order free samples, visit: www.ti.com/tps65090-pr.
The innovative front-end PMU integrates a 4-A switching PowerPath charger, three 5-A DC/DC step-down converters, seven load switches, two always-on LDOs and a 10-channel analog-to-digital converter (ADC).
Key features and benefits of the TPS65090:
- 20-percent increased battery run-time: Up to 95-percent efficiency across 8-V to 12-V output voltages for two to three cells in series.
- High integration, smallest solution size: The device integrates 15 functions into one front-end circuit to reduce the bill of materials and achieve a 60-percent smaller total solution than using discrete ICs.
- Faster charging: Integrated 4-A, multi-cell switching charger cuts charging time in half.
- Advanced power control: The power switches allow independent control of each major subsystem, and the 10-bit ADC allows easy, accurate monitoring of power consumption.
Availability, packaging and pricing
The TPS65090 is available today in multi-row QFN packaging for a suggested retail price of USD$4.95 in 1,000-unit quantities. Designers can order the TPS65090EVM evaluation module to quickly evaluate their designs and speed time-to-market.
TI analog for consumer electronics
TI's broad range of power management and analog signal chain products offers design engineers the high performance, low power and integration they need to create innovative and differentiated consumer electronics. TI is engineering the future with gesture recognition, touch feedback, energy harvesting, wireless power, audio, health technology and more. Learn how TI analog products improve how we live, work and play at www.ti.com/consumer-pr.
Learn more about TI's PMU Solutions:
TI's PMU solutions include those that integrate several step-down converters with linear regulators, and other analog circuits, such as battery chargers and WLED drivers to save space.
- Check out TI's extensive line of PMU solutions.
- Download the Power Management guide.
- Download the PMU overview 1Q13.
- New Tablet Solutions Guide.
- Ask questions and help solve problems in the Power Forum in the TI E2E™ Community.
- Read about more trends, topics, and solutions in power management on the Power House blog.
- Find the corresponding PMU solution for your processor: www.ti.com/processorpower.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments semiconductor innovations help 90,000 customers unlock the possibilities of the world as it could be – smarter, safer, greener, healthier and more fun. Our commitment to building a better future is ingrained in everything we do – from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities. This is just the beginning of our story. Learn more at www.ti.com.
TI E2E is a trademark of Texas Instruments. All registered trademarks and other trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated
|Texas Instruments Incorporated
Heather Weir, Texas Instruments
Mary Dunnie, GolinHarris
Email Contact (Please do not publish these numbers or e-mail addresses.)