Access mapping technology, data and content that can be used with Halifax’s open data to build innovative Web apps for a chance to win great prizes
HALIFAX – October 24, 2013 – Esri Canada, which provides geographic information system (GIS) solutions, has launched a new Web site ( apps4halifax.maps.arcgis.com) designed specifically for Apps4Halifax, the open data app development contest hosted by the Halifax Regional Municipality (HRM) as part of their Open Data Pilot Project. Esri Canada has partnered with HRM to sponsor two Maps in Apps Challenges, one for students and another for startups. Through the new Web site, students and developer startups in Nova Scotia will gain access to Esri’s ArcGIS technology, as well as data and maps that they can mash up with Halifax’s open data to build innovative Web and mobile apps.
“Most open data are in the form of geographic data,” notes Alex Miller, president, Esri Canada. “Using ArcGIS, people can make sense of open data, visualize it as maps and combine it with other information and functionality to create useful apps. The apps can be deployed in the cloud and accessed from any device. We’re proud to be a sponsor of Apps4Halifax and look forward to the many creative app submissions that will surely make an impact on the lives of people in Halifax.”
Through the new Web site, Apps4Halifax participants can:
2) Access Esri’s open source code from GitHub to use as a starting point for building Web and mobile apps.
3) Integrate maps and services using free Esri data including basemaps and a wealth of other content, access an HRM basemap, as well as datasets in the HRM Open Data Catalogue.
4) View sample apps that use ArcGIS Online and open data such as those that display Nova Scotia election results, zoning, weather conditions and lake ice thickness, waste collection schedules, and weekly crime incidents.
Add maps to your apps for a chance to win prizes
In addition to submitting apps for one or more of Apps4Halifax’s four main categories, students and startups can qualify for the Maps in Apps Challenges by using ArcGIS technology and at least one dataset from the HRM Open Data Catalogue.
- Maps in Apps Student Challenge - Individuals or teams must be registered at an accredited college or university in Nova Scotia to qualify for this challenge. Students may be full or part time in the 2013/2014 academic year. An app can be submitted by an individual or team of up to or including four students. Participating students/teams will have the opportunity to win one of three prize packages that include a cash prize of $2,000, access to ArcGIS technology and training, and an opportunity to speak at a GIS Conference.
- Maps in Apps Startup Challenge - Participants must be registered as a for-profit business in Nova Scotia, be in business for less than 3 years, have 10 or less employees and have less than 1 million dollars in annual revenue to qualify for this challenge. Participating developers will have the opportunity to win a prize package which includes access to ArcGIS technology and training, and mentoring with senior Esri Canada management.
Winning apps will be selected based on accessibility, usability, creativity and use of ArcGIS technology and Esri content. Submissions must be received by 4 p.m. AT on November 29, 2013.
For more information on the contest, visit: apps4halifax.ca.
The Apps4Halifax contest was created to encourage public engagement and inspire the development of user-friendly applications for Nova Scotia citizens using HRM open data. The Open Data Pilot, launched earlier this year at data.halifax.ca, enables public viewing and use of a selection of HRM datasets free of charge for a 12-month period. For more information on the contest, visit apps4halifax.ca, follow @hfxgov on twitter or become a member of the Apps4Halifax Developers Facebook Group at: facebook.com/groups/apps4halifax.dev/.
About Esri Canada
Founded in 1984, Esri Canada provides enterprise geographic information system (GIS) solutions that empower businesses, governments and educational institutions to make timely, informed and mission-critical decisions by leveraging the power of geography. The company distributes the world's leading GIS software from Esri, Schneider Electric, Cityworks – Azteca Systems, Inc. and other technology partners. Headquartered in Toronto, the company serves over 10,000 customers from 16 regional offices across Canada. Esri Canada has joined the elite rank of Canada’s Best Managed companies and has been named to the Branham300. Information about the company can be found at esri.ca.
For media inquiries, please contact: