Ethernet is the most widely used networking interface in today's wired and wireless networks, with virtually all data, voice and video traffic traversing multiple Ethernet links. Emerging IoT networks are transforming everyday devices into a new category of sensor-laden intelligent end-points that can communicate and process information. According to BI Intelligence, IoT devices will grow from 1.9 billion today to an estimated nine billion devices by 2018. Vitesse is well positioned in this expanding market, as many of the high-value capabilities that Vitesse developed for the Carrier Ethernet market, such as its nanosecond-accurate VeriTime IEEE 1588v2 timing synchronization and IntelliSec IEEE 802.1AE MACsec security encryption technology, will be imperative in IoT networks as they adopt Gigabit Ethernet speeds.
"Vitesse is already experiencing strong demand for network infrastructure equipment designs that will support IoT traffic," said David Grant, senior product marketing manager at Vitesse. "With the VSC8501, VSC8502 and VSC8514, we broaden our market reach into industrial IoT applications using low-power, small-form factor end-point devices connected via Gigabit Ethernet."
New Generation of GE PHYs For Energy Efficient IoT Networking
- Compact footprint with commercial and industrial temperature support: The VSC8502 is the industry's smallest form factor dual 10/100/1000BASE-T GE PHY with a GMII interface, while the VSC8514 employs the smallest form factor package used in the industry for a quad GE PHY. The small packaging enables a reduction in design form factor, reducing system BOM costs, and delivers industrial temperature support from -40 ˚C to 125 ˚C;
- Flexible configuration: The VSC8501 and VSC8502 are pin-compatible, allowing system flexibility within the same footprint. They also are Vitesse's first to feature Wake-on-LAN (WoL) support, allowing remote wakeup of target host systems from a power-savings sleep state;
- Energy efficient: Gigabit Ethernet links typically compound energy usage by drawing power at near full levels even while standing idle, waiting for data packets. The GE PHYs incorporate Vitesse's EcoEthernet 2.0, offering IEEE 802.3az idle power savings up to 85 percent compared to 1000BASE-T full data rate;
- Synchronous Ethernet support: All the devices feature recovered clock output to support timing synchronization in accordance with ITU-T Recommendation G.8261/Y.1361; and
- Robust features meeting SONET-grade requirements: Fast link failover and ring resiliency features enable OEMs to design to meet carrier grade resiliency and latency requirements.
The new SimpliPHYs are sampling now.
- VSC8514: Quad Port GE Cu PHY in a 12 mm x 12 mm, 138-pin QFN;
- VSC8502: Dual Port GE Cu PHY in a 12 mm x 12 mm, 135-pin QFN; and
- VSC8501: Single Port GE Cu PHY in a 12 mm x 12 mm, 135-pin QFN
Vitesse is a registered trademark and SimpliPHY, EcoEthernet, VeriTime, and Intellisec are trademarks of Vitesse Semiconductor Corporation in the United States and other jurisdictions. All other trademarks or registered trademarks mentioned herein are the property of their respective holders.
Company Contact: Michelle Lozada Vitesse Semiconductor www.vitesse.com +1.805.388.3700 firstname.lastname@example.org Agency Contact: Jennifer Usher SHIFT Communications www.shiftcomm.com +1.415.591.8456 VitessePR@shiftcomm.com