Role-Based UX and Google Glass Seamlessly Connect People, Data, Machines and SystemsGRAND RAPIDS, Mich., June 10, 2014 — (PRNewswire) — Plex, the leader cloud ERP for the manufacturing enterprise, Tuesday demonstrated a new, role-based user experience as well as integration with Google Glass designed to seamlessly connect people — from the shop floor to the top floor — with the Manufacturing Cloud. Plex pioneered cloud solutions for manufacturing, starting on the shop floor, connecting the people, machines, materials, data and systems that make things. With Plex's continuous innovation development model, new capabilities — including user-experience enhancements — are delivered to customers every day.
What's New: Plex Role-Based User Experience
- Plex has reimagined the user experience for manufacturing applications, looking at individual roles, responsibilities and situations to deliver actionable information to the workforce.
- Role-based user experiences will support every worker in a manufacturing organization, from the shop floor to the top floor — all within the Plex Manufacturing Cloud.
- The new user experience is designed and developed to provide a seamless experience across devices, from tablets and smartphones to shop equipment and desktop browsers.
- Plex utilizes modern design methodologies and customer input, along with Plex's unparalleled domain experience, to deliver user experiences that meet the manufacturing workforce's diverse needs.
- Tuesday, Plex demonstrated and delivered the first role-based experiences designed to support financial and administrative leaders in manufacturing organizations. Additional roles will be delivered throughout 2014 as part of Plex's continuous innovation development model.
What's New: Google Glass on the Shop Floor
- Plex demonstrated integration between Google Glass and the Plex Manufacturing Cloud.
- This integration enables manufacturing professionals to see and act on live data and shop floor transactions, incorporating people, machines and materials to control manufacturing activity.
- Plex's integration with Google Glass demonstrates the huge opportunity for wearable computing on the manufacturing shop floor, enabling real-time, actionable information flow to managers and equipment operators while keeping hands free for work and safety.
- Google Glass integration with the Plex Manufacturing cloud is currently a Plex Labs project.
Comments on the News
"From the very beginning, we built Plex on the premise that manufacturing speed, productivity and quality are all directly related to the accuracy of recording production – and that starts with people and the work they are doing," said Jerry Foster, vice president, Research and Development at Plex Systems. "Making sure Plex was fast and easy for the plant worker has always been part of our DNA, and we've taken that same, role-based approach to every part of the manufacturing enterprise."
"We see manufacturing as the first killer app for Google Glass, providing seamless connectivity to systems, machines, information and transactions for workers on the shop floor, where hands-free is an imperative," Foster continued. "The Plex Manufacturing Cloud is designed to provide universal connectivity to every component in the manufacturing supply chain, from materials to machines, people and information — making it easy to bring innovative new devices like Google Glass onto the shop floor."
Plex is the Manufacturing Cloud, delivering industry-leading ERP and manufacturing automation to nearly 400 companies, including aerospace and defense, food and beverage and motor vehicles. Plex pioneered shop-floor Cloud solutions, connecting suppliers, machines, people, systems and customers with capabilities that are easy to configure, deliver continuous innovation and reduce IT costs. With insight that starts on the production line, Plex helps companies see and understand every aspect of their business ecosystems, enabling them to lead in an ever-changing market. Learn more at www.plex.com.
Katy Teer, Plex, (248) 393-4101