Combines Five Gbps DOCSIS 3.1 Broadband Speeds, Ultra HD Video and Gigabit Wi-Fi into a Single PlatformCOLOGNE, Germany, June 9, 2015 — (PRNewswire) — ANGA COM – Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today announced the world's first DOCSIS 3.1 cable set-top box (STB) reference design. Broadcom's BCM93390VMS52 provides global cable system operators and original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) with a powerful all-in-one cable subscriber experience that combines data delivery at speeds of up to five Gigabits per second (Gbps), support for 4K/Ultra HD video decoding and multi-Gigabit Wi-Fi home networking. For more news, visit Broadcom's Newsroom.
"Competition among service providers is driving an increase in Gigabit Internet speeds and 4K IP video around the world. Broadcom is bringing to market an extraordinary set-top box reference design that gives service providers a platform to enable the best connectivity performance available today," said John H. Gleiter, Broadcom Vice President of Marketing, Broadband & Connectivity Group. "With Broadcom's latest platform, service providers and OEMs can immediately begin to leverage the value of DOCSIS 3.1 to provide their customers with market-leading Gigabit broadband data speeds, the highest-speed dual concurrent 4x4 Wi-Fi for streaming Internet content to wireless devices and Ultra HD cable TV experiences."
Engineered to support the new era in Gigabit data and improve the spectral efficiencies of current networks, the DOCSIS 3.1 specification enables higher-order modulations in existing hybrid fiber-coaxial (HFC) networks without changes to the existing cable plant. By combining low-density parity check-based Forward Error Correction (FEC) and Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing (OFDM) technology, DOCSIS 3.1 allows operators to more efficiently pack more data into the existing spectrum.
BCM93390VMS52 Demonstration Details
- World's first cable STB reference design to combine dramatically increased multi-Gigabit broadband data speeds, Ultra HD video decoding and dual concurrent 4x4 Wi-Fi in a single, efficient design
- Five Gigabit downstream and two Gigabit upstream broadband speeds to a consumer's home
- 10-Bit HEVC-enabled Ultra HD video decoding with Broadcom's industry leading BCM7252S
- High-performance dual-core Brahma15 12000 DMIPs ARMv7 processor
- 4kp60 or Quad HD decode and dual transcode capabilities
- Supports up to 16 concurrent DVB-C video channels
- 1 Gbps MoCA 2.0-bonded Coax home networking
- Integrated DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem and router with Broadcom's BCM4366 5G Wi-Fi for both 2.4 and 5 GHz Wi-Fi, including:
- Speeds up to 2.2 Gbps at 5 GHz and 1 Gbps at 2.4 GHz with full support for 802.11ac Wave 2 specifications
- Advanced Multi-User-Multiple Input Multiple Output (MU-MIMO) implementation allowing for up to a 4X speed boost4
- Highly robust wireless content delivery with support for advanced features, which enable unprecedented reliability for video and data distribution over Wi-Fi
Broadcom's BCM3390M DOCSIS 3.1 device and BCM93390VMS52 set-top box reference design integrating high-speed 5G Wi-Fi (802.11ac) are currently sampling. The BCM93390VMS52 is being demonstrated at ANGA COM, June 9-11 in Cologne, Germany.
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a FORTUNE 500® company, is a global leader and innovator in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom® products seamlessly deliver voice, video, data and multimedia connectivity in the home, office and mobile environments. With one of the industry's broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip solutions, Broadcom is changing the world by Connecting everything®. For more information, go to www.broadcom.com.
Broadcom®, the pulse logo, Connecting everything® and the Connecting everything logo are among the trademarks of Broadcom Corporation and/or its affiliates in the United States, certain other countries and/or the EU. Any other trademarks or trade names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
Isa Loundon Flaherty
T. Peter Andrew
Vice President, Treasury & Investor Relations
Director, Investor Relations
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/broadcom-announces-industrys-first-multi-gigabit-set-top-box-design-300094666.html
SOURCE Broadcom Corporation; BRCM Broadband & Cable
BRCM Broadband & Cable