'Analytics for Everyone' package addresses new analytic types, emerging technologies, partner optimizations and tools for application developmentSAN DIEGO, Oct. 25 — (PRNewswire) — In-database analytics has just taken another leap forward, led by its commercial pioneer Teradata Corporation (NYSE: TDC), the world's largest company solely focused on data warehousing and enterprise analytics. Today the company announced the availability of Teradata Accelerated Analytics, a comprehensive set of powerful services for next generation analytics.
"The challenge with today's analytic environments is that data and analytics are often siloed across many diverse systems. Analysts must often move large amounts of data between various environments to be able to execute the complex analytics required to meet business demands," said Scott Gnau, chief development officer, Teradata Corporation. "With Teradata Accelerated Analytics, customers are able to integrate analytics and data, dramatically reducing time-consuming data movement while executing analytic parallel processing in-database for superior performance."
The Teradata Accelerated Analytics Portfolio includes new data types, emerging technologies, partner optimizations, and tools for application development:
- Application Development: Teradata delivers a Teradata Plug-in for Eclipse that integrates with existing application development environments enabling Teradata in-database services. Karmasphere software is the first developer platform that harnesses the power of Hadoop and Teradata. Programmers can write MapReduce applications in a simple drag and drop interface that use data and processing capabilities from both Teradata systems and Hadoop simultaneously. These environments enable accelerated development of analytic services that can be leveraged by applications across the enterprise. A Microsoft Visual Studio plug-in is also available for .net development.
- Temporal: Teradata is the first to deliver intelligent time-aware analytics, making it easy for users to reconstruct a picture of their business. For example, an insurance company can now easily manage risk exposure associated with current and past states of customer policies when deciding to grant future policies.
- Agile Analytics: Teradata "data labs" refer to work spaces within the data warehouse where users can explore and analyze new data and test theories. This is truly a cloud for analytic use. Analysts can add new data, then combine it with existing data inside the data warehouse without worrying about impacting production users. In addition, SAS and Teradata have recently released an Appliance version of data labs to perform accelerated in-depth analysis.
- Big Data: Ability to extract facts from unstructured data and combine these for use in the Teradata platform. With a fast, two-way exchange of data with Hadoop, Teradata Accelerated Analytics can leverage multiple languages and analytics to produce new insights from the data warehouse. Partnerships with Attensity and Clarabridge also enable analysis of web and other unstructured data.
- Advanced Analytics: Teradata has integrated with advanced analytics partners including SAS and KXEN. One key example is the SAS and Teradata partnership that maximizes SAS analytics in-database through dedicated R&D integration and a joint Center of Excellence (COE) for implementation delivery. Teradata also supports emerging R technology. The new "R add-on for Teradata" delivers over 40 analytic functions that run in parallel, allowing easy integration into the R open analytic process. Information Builders' WebFOCUS RStat accelerates R models with in-database processing, bringing big data to R.
- Geospatial: Teradata provides native geospatial data types with over 60 in-database geospatial analytics enhancing BI with location intelligence. Teradata has partnered with leading vendors Esri, Safe Software, CoreLogic and APOS to deliver Geospatial business intelligence solutions.
- OLAP Optimization: Teradata has optimized OLAP technology to dramatically speed up OLAP processing. OLAP optimization enhances existing Teradata BI partner tools such as Microsoft, MicroStrategy, Oracle Business Intelligence, SAP BusinessObjects, and SAS Business Intelligence to name a few. Teradata Aggregate Designer will recommend optimal OLAP implementation for database administrator selection. Teradata Excel Plug-in provides self-service capabilities through direct data access from Excel PivotTables to Teradata.
- Data Exploration: Interactive, in-database exploration tools such as Tableau, enable businesses to sift through massive amounts of data to quickly understand trends though powerful exploration techniques. Teradata Profiler also provides the capability to quickly navigate through the data warehouse to identify patterns and anomalies.
Users of Teradata Accelerated Analytics can operationalize their analytic procedures – meaning they can store, package and reuse procedures as analytic services in the database – saving significant time and development cost.
Teradata Accelerated Analytics leverages the Teradata Open Parallel Framework. This allows users and partners to extend in-database analytic capabilities to enable customization, and is packaged in tiers: the first tier is a Custom Service infrastructure that allows users and analytic partners to accelerate their analytics with in-database processing. This minimizes data movement, allowing analysts to integrate custom analytics into Teradata to tackle big data problems.
The second tier is called Embedded Services. These services support complex processing that accelerate analytics, yet infuse more precise geospatial processing and advanced web activity encoding as well as other cutting-edge tools and applications. The third tier, Virtual Machines, provides Teradata with the agility to extend in-database analytics with additional languages and analytic systems. Virtual Machines can support Java with new, advanced analytics systems and language on the roadmap.
"Teradata's Parallel Database was designed from its inception as an analytic engine producing enterprise intelligence for fast and reliable decision support," Gnau added. "Our Accelerated Analytics portfolio leverages the power of Teradata's environment to enable powerful sets of new analytic services. Teradata Accelerated Analytics will in effect transform Teradata data warehouses into high performance analytic services environments."
Relevant news links:
- Growing in popularity for data mining: the liberating language of "R"
- In-database analytics rule – thinking inside the box is the best way
- More details on Teradata analytic solutions and services
Teradata Corporation (NYSE: TDC) is the world's largest company solely focused on raising intelligence and achieving enterprise agility through its database software, enterprise data warehousing, data warehouse appliances, consulting, and enterprise analytics. Visit Teradata on the web at www.teradata.com.
Teradata is a trademark or registered trademark of Teradata Corporation in the United States and other countries.
SOURCE Teradata Corporation
Mike O'Sullivan, Teradata Corporation