Bentley Map V8i Is Now Offered in Three Editions to Support Editing/Viewing, GIS/Mapping Professionals, and Enterprise-Scale Users
EXTON, Pa. — (BUSINESS WIRE) — April 7, 2011 — Bentley Systems, Incorporated, the leading company dedicated to providing comprehensive software solutions for sustaining infrastructure, today announced the release of Bentley Map V8i (SELECTseries 2), the only desktop GIS software for infrastructure that is intrinsically 3D. Used worldwide by designers, engineers, and geospatial professionals who map, plan, design, build, and operate the world’s infrastructure, Bentley Map serves as a fully featured, universal GIS platform supporting the creation, persistence, maintenance, analysis, and sharing of 2D and 3D geospatial information. The V8i (SELECTseries 2) release provides new time-saving, productivity-enhancing functionality that further reduces costs and risks of geospatial data sharing across infrastructure projects and enterprises. It’s available in three editions to meet the needs of different users:
- Bentley Map PowerView for the light editor/reviewer of spatial information;
- Bentley Map for the GIS professional who creates, edits, analyzes, and maintains spatial information; and
- Bentley Map Enterprise for the GIS professional who needs access to advanced image management, solids texturing, document conversion, and long transactions in Oracle Spatial without the need for a server license.
All three editions natively support advanced 3D GIS modeling and analysis workflows by delivering highly accurate, engineering-quality spatial data.
Commenting on his organization’s deployment of Bentley Map, Jean Pellerin, Quebec land surveyor, City of Montreal, said, “We are currently using Bentley Map for documenting the City of Montreal’s water network and are extremely pleased with the productivity the product is providing us. The Bentley Map feature engine allows us to easily create smart infrastructure objects, and we are able to create customized tools to improve data quality. Bentley Map’s ability to operate seamlessly with ProjectWise and Bentley Geospatial Server allows us to extend spatial data across the organization and to structure our workflows for optimum productivity. And Bentley Map’s interoperability with Oracle Spatial makes it easy to share information with all stakeholders in our organization as well as with the public.”
Said Erik Wirring, technical head of the CAD and Surveying Software Department, Landinspektørfirmaet LE34 in Denmark, “We have been using Bentley’s geospatial products for our survey applications for more than 20 years. With the new release of Bentley Map V8i, we now have a product that combines the flexibility and precision of MicroStation editing tools with the advanced GIS functionality we need in our daily work.”
Wirring continued, “As surveying has changed from just making ‘lines on a map’ to collecting both high-precision location information and detailed information concerning the objects surveyed, we have found the XFM (XML Feature Modeling) feature concept in Bentley Map both robust and easily aligned with the data we generate from our Trimble surveying instruments. We also strongly value Bentley Map’s Data Browser because this tool allows us to apply quality control to the attributes of the spatial information very quickly – with it we can batch edit attributes and rapidly spot data anomalies, which are then corrected. Our clients value the clean information we can then deliver to them.”
Bentley Map V8i’s newly extended ability to work with the ProjectWise collaboration platform empowers multidiscipline project teams to easily manage, find, share, and visualize geospatial and CAD content, other project data, and Microsoft Office documents. ProjectWise facilitates fast access to even the largest files, manages change efficiently and effectively, and empowers distributed project teams to work collaboratively to eliminate wasted time and improve project quality.
Additional features of Bentley Map V8i (SELECTseries 2) that lead to significant time savings and increased productivity include:
- the ability to generate both 2D and 3D spatial data, enabling users to easily edit and manage information in a seamless workflow;
- a unified geospatial environment providing direct access to 2D and 3D data within a standard Oracle database, plus native access to many other spatial data formats, including SHP, TAB, and GML;
- the ability to perform complex and precise spatial analyses, and to create semantically intelligent and photorealistic 3D models;
- map finishing tools that facilitate advanced text placements, color separations, and PDF deliverables;
- advanced parcel management functionality, including cadastral mapping tools for editing and placement and COGO Editor, that helps manage parcel fabric, simplify parcel creation, and enhance interoperability with survey data;
- the capabilities (with Bentley Map Enterprise) to execute long transactions in Oracle Spatial without a server product, along with support for advanced raster image management and 3D texturing – for example, to support 3D City GIS workflows incorporating photorealistic views.