- New offering runs in Dell datacenters and offers enterprise class, secure public, private and hybrid clouds and includes consulting, application and infrastructure services
- Delivers robust Infrastructure-as-a-Service offering based on Dell servers, storage and security technologies
LAS VEGAS — (BUSINESS WIRE) — August 29, 2011 — Today at VMworld® 2011, Dell and VMware jointly announced the availability of the Dell Cloud based on VMware vCloud® Datacenter Services designed to provide a seamless multi-tenant environment for running virtual systems. Dell is one of the first providers authorized to provide VMware vCloud Datacenter Services for enterprise-class, secure, public, private and hybrid clouds.
Today’s announcement is the first public and hybrid cloud offering by Dell and supports Dell’s strategy to provide customers next-generation computing solutions composed of hardware, software and services. Dell will also offer consulting, application and infrastructure services to help companies transform their legacy IT environment and integrate these cloud services effectively in their business.
Dell and VMware will provide Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) choice for customer organizations, hosting and outsourcing firms, system integrators and service providers. The offer provides automation, multi-level security and availability in order to manage on-demand capacity, workload scalability, or as a platform to respond to changing business needs more rapidly.
To address one of the greatest concerns customers have with cloud implementations, Dell delivers a complete, multi-layer enterprise security solution. Through the acquisition of SecureWorks and strategic partnerships with VMware and Trend Micro, Dell’s top priority is securing critical IT assets for the customer through the multi-layer provisioning of services. Dell protects the datacenter’s infrastructure through the management and monitoring of network firewalls, web application firewalls, intrusion detection and prevention systems, and vulnerability scanning. Virtual datacenters are also protected with security boundaries allocated to specific organizations. Log monitoring and reporting provides visibility into relevant security controls to help customers demonstrate compliance with industry standards.
Dell powers many of today’s top global search engines and largest web sites. In addition, Dell has one of the largest install bases of VMware customers and is very well positioned to offer comprehensive support from the datacenter to the cloud for VMware environments.
Dell Cloud with VMware vCloud Datacenter Services includes several options for customers:
- Public - Dell Cloud with VMware vCloud Datacenter Service is an enterprise-class, secure offer of Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IAAS) hosted in a secure Dell datacenter. This service provides access to vCPUs, memory, storage networks, IP addresses, firewalls, and catalog capabilities.
- Private – Utilizing the same expertise, service and technology delivered in its own datacenters, Dell will build private clouds at either our customer’s datacenter or Dell datacenters leveraging VMware offerings including VMware vSphere® and VMware vCloud Director™ as well as Dell’s vStart offering.
- Hybrid - Dell and VMware provide a single source to substantially simplify the management of customers’ physical and VMware vSphere-based virtual data center infrastructure adding flexibility to customer requirements. Utilizing VMware vCloud Connector, the hybrid cloud solution provides management of on- or off-premise private cloud and Dell’s Public cloud offering.
In keeping with Dell’s principles of open, capable and affordable, the cloud offering is based on open standards and interoperable technologies that enable the seamless portability of workloads between public and private clouds. This offering is optimized to IT outsourcing capabilities for customers wanting to leverage their standardized VMware data centers to achieve greater business transformation results at lower costs.
This is the first offering of Dell’s cloud vision that is based on providing next generation end-to-end solutions to address customers’ requirements.
Solution Availability and Beta Program
Dell is currently offering the Dell Cloud with VMware vCloud Datacenter Service with beta customers. The offering will be generally available in the U.S. in the fourth calendar quarter this year with rollout planned for EMEA and APJ in 2012.
Dell and VMware have enjoyed a strong and strategic relationship for
almost 10 years. Dell is one of the largest VMware resellers in the
world and the companies’ combined products are used worldwide to help
organizations drive efficiency. VMware hypervisors are certified as a
component of Dell’s converged infrastructure offering, vStart, and can
be managed by Dell’s Advanced Infrastructure Manager offering, which
enables businesses to manage physical and virtual resources from a