To supplement its consolidated financial results presented in accordance with GAAP, IDT uses non-GAAP financial measures which are adjusted from the most directly comparable GAAP financial measures to exclude certain items, as described in detail below. Management believes that these non-GAAP financial measures reflect an additional and useful way of viewing aspects of the Company’s operations that, when viewed in conjunction with IDT’s GAAP results, provide a more comprehensive understanding of the various factors and trends affecting the Company’s business and operations. It should also be noted that IDT's non-GAAP information may be different from the non-GAAP information provided by other companies. Non-GAAP financial measures used by IDT include:
• Cost of revenues;
• Gross profit;
• Research and development expenses;
• Selling, general and administrative expenses;
• Interest income and other;
• Provision (benefit) for income taxes, continuing operations
• Operating income;
• Net income from continuing operations;
• Diluted net income per share, continuing operations; and
• Weighted average shares outstanding - diluted
The Company presents non-GAAP financial measures because the investor community uses non-GAAP results in its analysis and comparison of historical results and projections of the Company's future operating results. These non-GAAP results exclude acquisition related expense, restructuring and divestiture related costs (gain), share-based compensation expense, results from discontinued operations, stockholder expenses and certain other expenses and benefits. Management uses these non-GAAP measures to manage and assess the profitability of the business. These non-GAAP results are also consistent with the way management internally analyzes IDT's financial results.
There are limitations in using non-GAAP financial measures because they are not prepared in accordance with GAAP and may be different from non-GAAP financial measures used by other companies. The presentation of non-GAAP financial information is not meant to be considered in isolation or as a substitute for the most directly comparable GAAP financial measures. The non-GAAP financial measures supplement, and should be viewed in conjunction with, GAAP financial measures. Investors should review the reconciliations of the non-GAAP financial measures to their most directly comparable GAAP financial measures as provided in the accompanying press release.
As presented in the “Reconciliation of GAAP to Non-GAAP” tables in the accompanying press release, each of the non-GAAP financial measures excludes one or more of the following items:
Acquisition related. Acquisition-related charges are not factored into management’s evaluation of potential acquisitions or IDT’s performance after completion of acquisitions, because they are not related to the Company’s core operating performance. Adjustments of these items provide investors with a basis to compare IDT’s performance to other companies without the variability caused by purchase accounting. Acquisition-related expenses primarily include:
- Amortization of acquisition related intangibles, which include acquired intangibles such as purchased technology, patents, customer relationships, trademarks, backlog and non-compete agreements.
- Acquisition related costs such as legal, accounting and other professional or consulting fees directly related to an acquisition.
- Fair market value adjustment to acquired inventory sold.
Restructuring related. Restructuring charges primarily relate to changes in IDT’s infrastructure in efforts to reduce costs and expenses (gains) associated with strategic divestitures and restructuring in force actions. Restructuring charges (gains) are excluded from non-GAAP financial measures because they are not considered core operating activities. Although IDT has engaged in various restructuring activities in the past, each has been a discrete event based on a unique set of business objectives. As such, management believes that it is appropriate to exclude restructuring charges (gains) from IDT’s non-GAAP financial measures as it enhances the ability of investors to compare the Company’s period-over-period operating results from continuing operations. Restructuring-related charges (gains) primarily include:
- Severance and retention costs directly related to a restructuring action.
- Facility closure costs consist of ongoing costs associated with the exit of our leased and owned facilities.
- Gain on divestiture consists of gains recognized upon the strategic sale of business units.
- Assets impairments including accelerated depreciation of certain assets no longer in use and impairment charge related to a note receivable and subsequent recoveries.
Other adjustments. These items are excluded
from non-GAAP financial measures because they are not related to the
core operating activities and on-going future operating performance of
IDT. Excluding this data allows investors to better compare IDT’s
period-over-period performance without such expense, which IDT believes
may be useful to the investor community. Other adjustments primarily