"MySQL 5.7 delivers a wide range of innovations allowing developers, database administrators and DevOps teams to build and manage next-generation Web and cloud-based applications capable of processing ever increasing volumes of data," said Tomas Ulin, vice president, MySQL Engineering, Oracle. "MySQL 5.7 builds upon Development Milestone Releases that have enabled users to preview, test and provide feedback during the development process -- and as a result, this release has been a collaborative process involving many members of the MySQL community."
Ulin will provide an overview of what's new in MySQL 5.7 during the upcoming MySQL Central @ OpenWorld "State of the Dolphin" address in San Francisco on Monday, October 26 at 4.00 pm. Additionally, a webcast will be held on November 11, 2015, at 9.00 a.m. US Pacific Time.
"Booking.com's initial testing of the Development Milestone Releases has shown promising improvements that will enable us to perform online configuration and schema changes with less downtime," said Nicolai Plum, senior systems architect, Booking.com. "The multi-source and parallel replication improvements in MySQL 5.7 GA will help us to continue scaling our global e-commerce business with ease and we look forward to deploying it soon."
Key enhancements in MySQL 5.7, which deliver greater performance and scalability, include:
- Enhanced Speed: In benchmark tests using SysBench Read-only Point-Selects, at 1,024 connections, MySQL 5.7 delivered 1,600,000 queries per second (QPS) -- 3x faster than MySQL 5.6.
- Optimized InnoDB: New capabilities include increased performance and concurrency, enhanced on-line operations, spatial indexes, native partitioning and more.
- More Robust Replication: Enhancements to MySQL's replication features include multi-source replication, enhanced Global Transaction Identifiers (GTIDs), and improved multi-threaded slaves for better scalability and availability.
- Enhanced Optimizer: A new MySQL optimizer dynamic cost model provides better query performance and greater user control.
Primary manageability enhancements within MySQL 5.7 include:
- New Native JSON Data Type and JSON Functions: Allows for efficient and flexible storage, search and manipulation of schema-less data. Enhancements include a new internal binary format, support for easy integration within SQL, and index management on the JSON Documents using generated columns.
- Performance Schema: Enables instrumentation for memory, transactions, stored routines, prepared statements, replication and locks.
- MySQL SYS Schema: Provides helper objects that answer common performance, health, usage and monitoring questions.
- Improved Security: Delivers easier and safer instance initialization, setup and management.
- Expanded Geographic Information System (GIS) Support for Mobile Applications: Provides spatial index support in InnoDB, GeoJSON and GeoHash support.
Also now generally available is the new MySQL Router, which simplifies application development by intelligently routing queries to MySQL databases for increased performance and uptime. MySQL Router also provides cross-language support for MySQL Fabric, making it simpler to manage groups of MySQL databases and delivering both high availability and scalability through automated data sharding.
For early testing and feedback, MySQL Group Replication is available at http://labs.mysql.com. Group Replication delivers active/active write-anywhere replication clusters to MySQL, with support for automatic conflict detection and resolution.
MySQL 5.7 is scheduled to be available for download at http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/ on October 26, 2015. Terms, conditions and restrictions apply.
- MySQL Central @ OpenWorld Sessions
- Webcast: What's New in MySQL 5.7, November 11, 2015 at 9.00 am PT
- Webcast: New Replication Features in MySQL 5.7, November 24, 2015 at 9.00 am PT
- MySQL Labs
- Join MySQL on
Facebook and follow @MySQL on
About Oracle OpenWorld
Oracle OpenWorld 2015 delivers the ultimate cloud experience. The industry's most important business conference includes thousands of educational sessions and features demos and exhibitions from hundreds of partners and customers from around the world showcasing Oracle's comprehensive cloud offerings, including an integrated stack of applications, platform and infrastructure services, as well as converged systems and industry solutions. Tens of thousands of in-person attendees and millions online gain valuable product and industry-specific insight to help them transform their businesses with Oracle. Oracle OpenWorld 2015 is being held October 25 through October 29 at the Moscone Center in San Francisco. For more information; to register; or to watch Oracle OpenWorld keynotes, sessions, and more, visit Oracle OpenWorld 2015. Join the Oracle OpenWorld discussion on Twitter #oow15, Facebook, and the Oracle OpenWorld blog.
Oracle and Java are registered trademarks of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
The preceding is intended to outline our general product direction. It is intended for information purposes only, and may not be incorporated into any contract. It is not a commitment to deliver any material, code, or functionality, and should not be relied upon in making purchasing decisions. The development, release, and timing of any features or functionality described for Oracle's products remains at the sole discretion of Oracle Corporation.
Contact Info Teri Whitaker Oracle +1.650.506.9914 Email Contact