CD-adapco, the leading global provider of industrial strength solutions for fluid flow, heat transfer and stress, today announced the release of STAR-CD V4.06, the fourth major release of STAR-CD V4.
Since its first release 20 years ago, STAR-CD has established a reputation for versatility and is still unrivalled in its ability to tackle problems involving complex multiphysics and complicated geometries (using stationary or moving meshes). In the latest release, STAR-CD V4.06 further enhances this reputation with an improved meshing process and the ability to simulate physics phenomena that have, until now, been beyond the reach of mainstream Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) technology.
“More than just a CFD code, STAR-CD V4.06 is an integrated CAE platform for performing powerful multi-physics simulations, including: combustion; multiphase flow; heat transfer; conjugate heat transfer; melting and solidification; and stress”, explains CD-adapco President Steve MacDonald. "While other CFD vendors are content to simply build upon their existing software architecture, we have achieved our aim of basing all of our product lines on the most advanced solver technology available.”
In particular, STAR-CD V4.06 provides benefits for CD-adapco’s extensive community of Internal Combustion Engine designers and engineers. According to VP Product Management, Jean-Claude Ercolanelli: “We have extensively tested STAR-CD V4.06 against a range of complex industrial engine simulation examples, and we are now confident that it delivers the same level of accuracy and robustness that our users have come to expect from our products, while providing additional benefits through polyhedral meshing, an enhanced physics models and better parallel performance.”
Users of STAR-CD V4.06 will also benefit from enhancements to existing capabilities and the addition of a number of key new features:
• Improved treatment of porous media and polyhedral meshes.
• Enhancements to parallel file handling have significantly improved the scalability of STAR-CD V4.06 compared to other CFD codes.
• Additional options for finite volume stress analysis including; orthotropic elastic materials, automatic time step control based on plastic strain and improved solution mapping from mesh to mesh.
• Improvement of melting and solidification and casting model to incorporate FV stress solution, oxide layer tracking and support for semi-permeable baffles.
• Integration of the latest CD-adapco meshing technology.
• Discrete element modeling (DEM) for the study of granular transport such as hopper flows, sand blasting and heap formation (available as a beta feature).
STAR-CD V4.06 is available on request from CD-adapco’s User Services site or your local CD-adapco office.
For more information, please visit: http://www.cd-adapco.com/