In time for the holiday season, NAVTEQ Traffic.com, the leading provider of free traffic information services nationwide, helps drivers avoid the worst of the worst
CHICAGO, Nov. 22, 2010 — (PRNewswire) — NAVTEQ, the leading global provider of maps, traffic and location data enabling navigation, location-based services and mobile advertising around the world, today issued their experts' rankings of the Top 10 most congested cities and freeways in North America.
NAVTEQ Traffic.com® will help millions of on-the-go drivers dodge the worst of the worst traffic this holiday season via real-time traffic information available online and on their mobile phones. NAVTEQ has more than 400 experts monitoring traffic 24/7* in 113 markets. NAVTEQ traffic operators gather more than 45 million new traffic incident records per day and these experts know that unless plans keep you close to home, there's no truly crowd-free way to travel. Airports will be clogged with 24 million passengers(1). Popular train and bus routes will be standing room only. And all of that will accommodate just 15% of those who travel to Thanksgiving dinner. The other 85% will drive, and more than half intend to make trips in excess of 60 miles(2).
While NAVTEQ Traffic.com cannot help drivers avoid traffic totally, it has cited a Top 10 List of Most Congested Cities and Freeways in North America as fuel for thought while making holiday plans.
Freeways with the Slowest Typical Rush Hour
- New York City – Brooklyn Battery TUNL NB
- New York City – Washington BRG EB
- Montreal – AUT-15EB
- Philadelphia – US-202 SB
- Montreal – RTE-138 WB
- New York City – Washington BRG WB
- Los Angeles – 1-10EB
- Boston – US-1 NB
- Dallas – TX-366 EB
- Toronto – Don Valley PKWY NB
Cities with the Worst Rush Hours
- New York
- Washington D.C.
- San Francisco
- Los Angeles
- Dallas - Ft. Worth
How to Steer Clear While You're on the Road
Accidents and other events can domino into big delays. Use one of these options to stay in touch with NAVTEQ Traffic.com and changing traffic conditions.
- Check in by mobile website on mobile phone or PDA at mobi.traffic.com. There's no charge, and it could save time, fuel, and frustration.
- Send an SMS text message to get real-time traffic information for city hotspots. Simply text your CITY CODE, (NY, CHIC, PHL, LA, etc.) to TRAFC (87232). City codes can be found at http://bhelp.traffic.com/city-codes-used-for-sms.
- Save 1-866-MY-TRAFC (1-866-698-7232) to a phone favorites list before leaving home. This free hotline provides speed dial access to NAVTEQ Traffic.com—ideal for avoiding heavy traffic, construction, and accidents on your long weekend trip.
*Not all markets have 24/7 coverage
NAVTEQ is the leading global provider of maps, traffic and location data (digital location content) enabling navigation, location-based services and mobile advertising around the world. NAVTEQ was founded in 1985 and now supplies comprehensive digital location content to power automotive navigation systems, portable and wireless devices, Internet-based mapping applications and government and business solutions. The Chicago-based company is celebrating its 25th anniversary in 2010, proudly supported by approximately 5,100 employees located in 212 offices in 48 countries.
NAVTEQ, and Traffic.com are trademarks in the U.S. and other countries. All rights reserved.
Stella Smith of NAVTEQ
Email Contact for NAVTEQ