Welcome to GISWeekly!
GISWeekly examines select top news, picks out worthwhile reading from around the web, and special interest items you might not find elsewhere. This issue will feature Industry News, Top of the News, Acquisitions/Agreements/Alliances, Announcements, New Products, Around the Web and Events Calendar.
GISWeekly welcomes letters and feedback from readers, so let us know what you think. Send your comments to me at giscafe-editor@IBSystems.com
Susan Smith, Managing Editor
Bentley Map Parcel Mapping
3D Geospatial Workflows with New Bentley Map V8i SELECTseries II
By Susan Smith
The need to be able to support 3D geospatial workflows for infrastructure GIS is being driven by the advent of 3D cities and demand for more workflow management around utilities. Bentley Map V8i SELECTseries II, a full featured desktop GIS that is available right out of the box from Bentley Systems, is intrinsically 3D, built on MicroStation technology which utilizes the Luxology engine.
Richard Zambuni, Bentley global marketing director, Geospatial and Utilities and Bob Mankowski, vice president software development. Civil and Geospatial products, held a webinar to introduce the new Bentley Map V8i SELECTseries II product line-up.
“This line-up replaces many of Bentley’s previous desktop GIS products and now we have one single product brand (Bentley Map) that is available in three editions that meet the needs of different users and workflows,” explained Zambuni.
Three significant changes mark this release:
1) Bentley Map is for the editing, analysis and management of 2D/3D geospatial information. Traditional CAD companies like Bentley have been implementing 3D for a long time and are now extending that capability to geospatial workflows.
2) Bentley Map has a more extensive and a better-documented API for application developers – and anyone can use the API without further permissions being necessary.
3) The product line-up has been simplified to make it easier for users to execute geospatial workflows in their infrastructure projects by reducing the number of products available and enhancing the functionality in those products.
3D City Data – Quebec City
New Editions of Bentley Map Products
The new Bentley Map v8i SELECTseries II line-up is as follows:
- Bentley Map PowerView
- For the visualization and editing of 2D/3D geospatial information – this product replaces Bentley PowerMap Field
- Bentley Map
- For editing, analysis and management of 2D/3D geospatial information – replaces the Bentley Map V8i SS1 and Bentley PowerMap
- Bentley Map Enterprise
- An entirely new product for enterprise editing, analysis and management of 2D/3D geospatial information
Some of the highlights of this line-up include:
- Viewing and editing of geospatial data from virtually all file-based GIS formats, spatial databases and rasters (either natively or through the Safe Software FME plug-in)
- Native support of Oracle Spatial 3D objects
- Decision making using spatial analysis (especially in 3D)
- Advanced 3D object editing
- Built-in map finishing
- Cadastral fabric editing and maintenance
- Producing data models and editing tools for different geospatial applications (i.e. the FAA compliant airport data model that we already ship with Bentley Map)
- Fully-documented, extended API open to all users
- Long transactions in Oracle Spatial (2-tier, no server license needed)
- Advanced image management (rasters, doc conversion, textures for 3D solids)
Mankowski said that all three new editions of Bentley Map V8i (SELECTseries II) come in a stand-alone configuration. “In other words, MicroStation is not a pre-requisite for these products, but rather that MicroStation functionality is built inside. Bentley Map, the middle tier, is also available as a layered application that runs on top of MicroStation. This provides a clean upgrade path for existing Bentley Map users, as well as for those users who already have MicroStation, and want to upgrade to a true GIS application,” said Mankowski.
In the past, MicroStation was always in Bentley Map in one form or another, in Bentley Map v8i SELECTseries I it sat on top of MicroStation. There was also a product called Bentley PowerMap that had essentially Bentley’s MicroStation functionality wrapped into it.
New editing capabilities have been added to Bentley Map PowerView, which includes viewing and markup and new file based feature editing for field and other disconnected workflows and new tools for creating map legends.
The new advanced map finishing workflow was previously only available to users of Bentley CADscript. Now, Bentley Map and Bentley Map Enterprise users will have this workflow as well. Similarly, the cadastral mapping configuration workflow was previously offered as a separate product called Bentley Cadastre, but now this is included in Bentley Map and Bentley Map Enterprise, according to Mankowski.
Greater support for Oracle Spatial workflows exists in the new offering, including the ability to extract and view Oracle Georaster, and the ability to execute long transactions and transactions including Oracle history.
Bentley Map 3D Feature Creation
Bentley Map’s New Capabilities
New capabilities in Bentley Map include the following:
Infrastructure modeling. CAD tools can be used to build and maintain infrastructure models. Accurate input is provided by snapping to existing objects using AccuSnap, drawing relative to objects with AccuDraw, or by keying in precise coordinates.
As the model is built, attributes about the model can also be collected. Bentley Map ensures that the symbology and annotation on the model stay in synch by associating them directly to the intelligent business data.
Bentley Map is intrinsically 3D, but supports 2D modeling in the same environment.
The product can access and edit most types of raster data. Raster data can either form a backdrop to the model to support the documentation or can be a part of the model in the case of scanned plans, drawings, and model textures.
All MicroStation tools can be used for dimensioning, printing, rendering, animation in both the stand-alone and the “for MicroStation” configurations and for 2D feature modeling as well as for 3D feature modeling.
The environment leverages MicroStation’s solid modeling tools which have been integrated into the GIS environment to build an accurate urban model.
2D profiles can be extruded into 3D. Roof outlines can be pulled into place. Objects can be drawn on the face of the model and extruded to create an existing or proposed building. Attributes for the 3D building model can be collected and associated to building symbology. The model can be stored in Oracle Spatial or used for shadow studies, texturing or 3D analysis.
MicroStation’s productivity tools such as rendering, animation, plotting, dimensioning and many others are inside Bentley Map and come from the Luxology engine. In Bentley Map Enterprise resides all the functionality of Bentley Descartes as a standalone product, which is useful for executing geospatial workflows that require heavy image management and texturing of 3D solids.
Bentley Map supports direct reference, import and export of a number of the most common GIS formats. The
Interoperability tools provide an easy to use interface in which symbology can be defined, features and properties remapped, and features filtered during import and export. The tools are designed for repeatable operations, and all settings can be saved and easily reused.