SIGGIS puts together a cartographic web application with extensive statistical functionality for the VDAB (Flemish Public Employment and Vocational Education Service).
May 25, 2011 -- Job opportunities are a cornerstone of our prosperity. The Flemish Public Employment and Vocation Education Service (VDAB) plays a decisive role in this matter. As vocational director, the VDAB helps citizens develop their career. It strives for a smoothly operating job market and prosperity for everyone, but with a special focus on job seekers from underprivileged societal groups. To accomplish this directive, the VDAB offers job training, employment reinsertion, job market and career counseling services.
The VDAB provides regional labor market data to policy makers and labor market researchers. To simplify this process, the VDAB required a statistical web application with an underlying, clear map of Flanders.
To this end, the VDAB called upon the expertise of SIGGIS in the fields of geography and databases. This resulted in a state-of-the-art and user friendly geostatistical web application, that was being fed from a central database and was easy to manage.
This application, ”Wegwijs op de Vlaamse arbeidsmarkt” (wegwijs.vdab.com) (Finding your way in the Flemish labor market) is now online, offering improvements with regards to a previous desktop version:
- As a web application, users no longer need to install any special software. The visitor is thus always presented with an up-to-date application.
- The services get their data straight from a central database; the users are presented with the most recent data.
- The labor data are stored in the database with a geographic component. This allows the web application to easily present several levels of aggregations (f.e. Districts).
- The application is based on state-of-the-art technology and this allows for a smooth and intuitive user experience.
- The presented solution is entirely based upon open software standards.
It was crucial to present these vast amounts of data in a straightforward manner. The VDAB and SIGGIS managed to do this. Together, they showed how Flanders can take charge concerning matters of employment and comprehensible geographic information.