~ New map update to include summer event venues and road changes ~
CONCORD, Mass. — (BUSINESS WIRE) — May 29, 2012 — TomTom today releases its summer maps. This latest map updates include road changes and additional Points of Interest (POI), such as POIs related to major events across Europe this summer which have been added to the Western Europe map. New stadiums, temporary and permanent event venues and park & rides across the UK, Poland and the Ukraine are included. Surrounding areas have been checked and surveyed to ensure complete mapping accuracy around important events. In North America, TomTom is introducing Map Zones for the U.S. and Canada. Users can now download smaller map updates categorized as “North,” “East,” or “West.”
In total, over 900,000 miles of new roads have been added to TomTom’s global maps between May 2011 and May 2012. Major map changes include adding over 65,000 miles of new road networks in Brazil, and updating 7,500 miles of roadways in Spain. Maps have been extended to cover greater areas of Mexico, Malaysia and Indonesia. Southern Africa maps now include more unpaved roads in rural areas for better routing and more accurate estimated times of arrival.
“At TomTom, we know how important it is for the maps we provide to our customers to be as accurate as possible and include the latest road network updates,” says Corinne Vigreux, Managing Director of TomTom. “Roads are always changing and this summer is no exception. TomTom’s latest map update will give the best routes and most accurate directions wherever you are driving.”
TomTom summer maps are available on all new TomTom devices through the latest map guarantee, or to existing customers through Map Update Service.
Notes for editors
Major map changes in the summer update
- Introduction of Map Zones for the in the U.S. and Canada. Users can now download smaller map updates categorized as “North,” “East,” or “West.”
- Over 65,000 miles of new road network has been added to the map of Brazil.
- The detail of the map of Mexico has been improved, with almost 50% of the population now covered with a fully attributed street network.
- 7,500 miles of new roadways have been added to the map of Spain.
- Road network coverage has been extended significantly in Malaysia and Indonesia.
- Basic coverage of the Republic of Cyprus has been added to all maps containing Greece.
- Maps of southern Africa now include many more unpaved roads in rural areas, for better routing and more accurate estimated times of arrival.
- Significant improvements have been made to house number accuracy in many European cities.
- Stadiums, venues and park & rides for major summer events have been added to maps of the UK, Poland and the Ukraine as special Points of Interest.
TomTom Map Update Service
This summer map release is one of the quarterly map updates available from TomTom Map Update Service. TomTom Map Update Service provides every release of a driver’s map over a fixed period, from the equivalent of just $9.98 per quarter.
TomTom latest map guarantee
All new TomTom devices come with a latest map guarantee. This means that customers with a new device can download this summer map release for free.
Founded in 1991, TomTom (AEX:TOM2) is the world’s leading supplier of in-car location and navigation products and services focused on providing all drivers with the world’s best navigation experience. Headquartered in Amsterdam, TomTom has 3,500 employees and sells its products in over 40 countries.
Our products include portable navigation devices, in-dash infotainment systems, fleet management solutions, maps and real-time services, including the award winning TomTom HD Traffic.
For the world’s most up-to-date route planner, including live traffic information, go to www.tomtom.com/livetraffic
For further information, please visit www.tomtom.com
Lea Armstrong, 978-405-1840