FRAMINGHAM, Mass — (BUSINESS WIRE) — September 18, 2014 — Worldwide PC monitor shipments totaled 32.5 million units in the second quarter of 2014 (2Q14), a year-over-year decline of -2.9%, according to the International Data Corporation ( IDC) Worldwide Quarterly PC Monitor Tracker. IDC expects worldwide shipments to continue on their current trajectory, slipping to 107 million units for the full year 2018.
"Despite the overall decline, there was a strong quarter-over-quarter growth rate of 11% in the United States and a slight increase in PC Monitor shipments in Asia/Pacific (excluding Japan)(APeJ). In addition, the shipment totals were stronger than forecast by 4%," said Keerthi Maganti, Research Analyst, Worldwide PC Monitor Trackers at IDC.
- LED product technology adoption continues to increase with a new high of 93% market share in 2Q14. This represents a year-over-year increase of 10.5%.
- Screen size of 21.x-inches wide has held the largest worldwide share for the last seven quarters, with 22.5% share in 2Q14.
- Aspect ratio of 16:9 continues to dominate with 82.4% market share, which is almost seven times the second most widely used aspect ratio of 16:10.
- Touch screen monitors are still a small segment of the total PC monitor market at 0.4% share, with sales mostly in the U.S. at 39.5% of the total. HP holds a 36.8% share of the U.S. market.
- Dell – Dell maintained its number 1 position in 2Q14 with worldwide market share of 15.4% on shipments of 5.0 million units. Japan had the highest market share from Dell in 2Q14 with 17.1% share. It continues as the number 1 vendor in the U.S. with 29.4% share.
- Samsung –Samsung continued to be ranked number 2 in terms of total units shipped and maintained the number 1position in terms of total revenue with $1.04 billion in 2Q14. Its revenue represents 17.9% share in total market value.
- HP – Despite being ranked number 3 worldwide, HP held the number 1 position in Canada and Western Europe with 17.2% and 16% overall market share respectively. It also holds the number 2 position in the U.S. and in Middle East and Africa (MEA).
- Lenovo – Lenovo moved up to the number 4 position in 2Q14. It continues to be the number 1 vendor APeJ with 25.7% growth over the first quarter of 2014. Lenovo's biggest gains in this quarter were in the Americas with 8.2% growth from the previous quarter.
- LG – Although LG has dropped to number 5 this quarter, it continues to maintain the number 1 rank in Latin America with 32.4% market share and is number 2 vendor in the Central and Eastern European (CEE) region.
Worldwide PC Monitor Unit Shipments, Market Share, and Year-over-Year Growth, Second Quarter 2014
|5. LG Electronics||3,054,829||9.4%||3,339,607||10.0%||-8.5%|
Source: IDC Worldwide Quarterly PC Monitor Tracker, August 2014.
In addition to the table above, an interactive graphic illustrating the worldwide market share for the top 5 PC monitor vendors over the previous year is available here. Instructions on how to embed this graphic into online news articles and social media can be found by viewing this press release on IDC.com.
About IDC Trackers
IDC Tracker products provide accurate and timely market size, vendor share, and forecasts for hundreds of technology markets from more than 100 countries around the globe. Using proprietary tools and research processes, IDC's Trackers are updated on a semiannual, quarterly, and monthly basis. Tracker results are delivered to clients in user-friendly excel deliverables and on-line query tools. The IDC Tracker Charts app allows users to view data charts from the most recent IDC Tracker products on their iPhone and iPad.
International Data Corporation (IDC) is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology, telecommunications, and consumer technology markets. IDC helps IT professionals, business executives, and the investment community to make fact-based decisions on technology purchases and business strategy. More than 1,000 IDC analysts provide global, regional, and local expertise on technology and industry opportunities and trends in over 110 countries. In 2014, IDC celebrates its 50th anniversary of providing strategic insights to help clients achieve their key business objectives. IDC is a subsidiary of IDG, the world's leading technology media, research, and events company. You can learn more about IDC by visiting www.idc.com.