Leveraging Global Best Practices to Enhance Knowledge Transfer of China's Spatial Technology
- The Wuhan University-Oracle Spatial Innovation Center (WOSIC) was established in Wuhan University recently. WOSIC aims at satisfying the huge demand for spatial technology product and enhancing the spatial technology adoption in China by collaborating in spatial technology talent training. The launch of WOSIC signifies deeper collaboratoin between Wuhan University and the Oracle Asia Research and Development Center.
- The MOU signing underscores the enhanced cooperation between Oracle and educational institutions in Central China's Hubei Province.
- The opening ceremony was attended by Steven Hagan--Vice President of Oracle, Li Deren, Chairman of the Academic Committee at Wuhan University, Zhou Chuangbing, Vice President of Wuhan University, Gong Jianya, as well as Director of State Key Laboratory at Wuhan University Survey and Mapping Remote Sensing Information Engineering.
- According to a report from Chinese Network Economy Research Center, the market for map information service in China will exceed 500 million RMB by the end of 2008 and reach to 1.5 billion RMB by the end of 2010.
- In repeated survey beginning in 2002 and most recently in 2006, analyst firm IDC reports show that Oracle's spatial-information-management oriented database has 80% to 90 % of the market share in the enterprise SIM database market. 1
- Wuhan University-Oracle Spatial Innovation Center aims to accelerate the advancement of research and development of spatial technology among Chinese academia through cooperation in joint research projects, software donation, curriculum development, training, and internship program. Oracle Asia Research and Development Center is pioneering the market in developing innovative solutions based on Oracle's world-class technologies.
- Since 2002, Oracle has made in-kind donations of $15 million to Wuhan University and Huazhong University of Science and Technology in the forms of software, faculty training, teaching materials and preferential certification in order to advance the improvement of teaching environment, curriculum construction and faculty training in these universities. Every year, more than 1,900 students benefit from Oracle's programs.
- "For Oracle's move into China 19 years ago, it has been committed to accelerating the adoption of information technology and the grooming of information professionals in this country. Equipped with the built-in space and location activation database technology, Oracle Database 11g is a preferred choice for spatial information management. In addition, Oracle has a wide range of other category-leading spatial information technology products. We are looking forward to working closely with our partners to introduce Oracle's world-leading spatial information technology and experience into the Chinese market, helping China improve its research and development of spatial technologies," said Steven Hagan, Vice President, Oracle Corporation.
- "Over the last 30 years, R&D has been at the core of driving Oracle's innovation and our position at the forefront of Information Technology (IT). Oracle has been increasing its R&D investments in China, and the establishment of three R&D centres in Shenzhen, Shanghai and Beijing respectively is a strong testament of such efforts," Pascal Sero, Vice President, Oracle Asia Research & Development Center. "The establishment of 'Wuhan University - Oracle Spatial Innovation Center' underlines our growing attention on localization and enhanced cooperation with local R&D institutions. We are committed to deliver the most suitable information architecture to our partners and customers in China to address their unique demands."
- "Wuhan University is one of the key universities in China. It is the world's largest base for geoinformatics education and research. As early as 1999 Wuhan University began its exchanges and cooperation with Oracle in the field of spatial database. Its self-developed GIS system GeoStar utilized Oracle Spatial 8i, Oracle Spatial 9i as the product of the mainstream database platform. The establishment of this center will facilitate Wuhan University and Oracle's cooperation on personnel training, basic research, and technologic development, which in turn promotes the development of Geoinformatics and Spatial database," said Li Deren, Chairman of the Academic Committee of Wuhan University.
- "The establishment of Wuhan University - Oracle Spatial Innovation Center is a strong cooperation between a prestigious university in China and the world's largest enterprise software provider. It will contribute significantly to the improvement of the academic level and R&D capability of the geo-spatial information technology sector in China, and Chinese consumers will have access to more advanced geo-spatial products and services. The center is a follow-up of the launch of Oracle Academy program at Wuhan University, and I believe this foretells further cooperation between our university and Oracle Corporation," said Zhou Chuangbing, Vice President of Wuhan University.
- About OARDC
- Oracle 11g
- Central China's Wuhan University Launches Oracle Academy's Business and Technology Training Program
The State Key Laboratory of Wuhan University Survey and Mapping Remote Sensing Information Engineering was founded in 1989, and is the only state key laboratory in the survey and mapping domain in China. In the assessments conducted by the National Natural Science Foundation of China, it has been rated among the best. For more information, pls visit the website at http://www.liesmars.wtusm.edu.cn/
Oracle (NASDAQ: ORCL) is the world's largest enterprise software company. For more information about Oracle, please visit our Web site at http://www.oracle.com .
(86-10) 6535 6935
Oracle is a registered trademark of Oracle Corporation and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.