July 13, 2009 -- CDR Group’s workspace and table analysis tool, Reveal, was aired at the recent MapInfo User Group in Birmingham, UK. Darryl Beresford presented “Oh No, My Workspace Won’t Open” to the attentive audience of MUGgers. Given the situation of many users creating many tables and workspaces, Darryl explained the issues that exist with trying to manage and repair hundreds and thousands of files. Reveal was developed with the aid of key users to help audit, manage and tidy up the abundance of files being generated by many users. On it’s first test run at a Metropolitan Borough Council, over 3,500 workspaces were detected, which in turn referenced some 90,000 tables – and that was on just one server!
Reveal is a workspace and table analysis tool. All tables and workspaces within a user specified directory structure are listed, along with any tables that are referenced by those workspaces. Further queries can be performed to identify problem files.
- De-duplication of external data – e.g. OS mapping
- Rationalising server data without invalidating workspaces
- Checking links and references are still valid
- Moving data from one server to another
- Cataloguing your MapInfo data at regular intervals
- Checking who is still using a MapInfo table
- Cleaning up data
- Company or departmental re-organisations
- Identification of duplicated data