Application developers in premier location-based solutions competition to be awarded share of global prize pool valued at $10 millionCHICAGO, June 10 — (PRNewswire) — NAVTEQ, the leading global provider of maps, traffic and location data enabling navigation, location-based solutions (LBS) and mobile advertising around the world, announced today the Asia-Pacific (APAC) finalists for the 2010 NAVTEQ Global LBS Challenge®. Nine applications have been selected to advance to final judging, including location-aware applications with the latest features in navigation and 3D visualization, enterprise and content, social networking, tracking, health and emergency services, transit, parking and points of interest search.
The winners will be announced at an awards ceremony on Monday, June 14 in Singapore. The finalists for the NAVTEQ Global LBS Challenge® in the APAC region are:
- Advanced Message Systems Software ( www.amss.com.au): AssetTrackerNXT provides a web-based enterprise asset tracking system available for installation at the client's site or as an Internet service on any desktop or mobile web browser.
- Advanced Message Systems Software ( www.amss.com.au): locationTrackerNXT is a configurable software add-on for mobile devices which makes the device's location visible to the AMSS enterprise asset tracking system.
- Ariose Software Pvt. Ltd. ( www.ariosesoftware.com): Health Guard is an application that empowers the user by providing personalized health records, health alerts and details of health care providers, anywhere and anytime.
- B&C Electronic Engineering, Inc. ( www.bce-inc.com): 911ETA (Emergency & Traffic Alerts) alerts the motoring public to responding emergency vehicles and street closures, as well as planned or unplanned events, with an audible warning or vibration and live data display on their GPS/PND.
- LOGPIPE LLC ( www.logpipe.com): eParkInfo is an LBS application that acquires the live status of nearby car parks and provides parking availability information, as well as an in-advance booking facility.
- mojoPlanner ( mojoplanner.com/wmr/android): Where's my Ride? allows users to view and share the route, location, timetables and estimated arrival time of transit vehicles on their mobile phones.
- PelicanCorp ( www.pelicancorp.com): beforeUdig assists contractors in determining the location of underground assets while notifying each of the utilities that own the pipes and cables of excavation inquiries.
- Surround Networks Pte. Ltd. ( www.surroundnetworks.com/): Surround Networks Indoor Positioning System (SNIPS) is a location system that enables users to determine their location and navigate inside large buildings such as shopping malls from their Wi-Fi-enabled mobile phone.
- Visioglobe® ( www.visioglobe.com): Visiostreet offers 3D city visualization and navigation, along with interactive social networking.
The NAVTEQ Global LBS Challenge® is a worldwide developer competition conducted by NAVTEQ Network for Developers™ (NN4D), NAVTEQ's global community and support program for location-based solution (LBS) developers and business partners. Every year NN4D invites developers to build and submit original, pre-commercialized applications using dynamic positioning technology and NAVTEQ® maps.
"NAVTEQ is delighted to bring the Global LBS Challenge to the APAC region for the third year," commented Marc Naddell, vice president, partner and developer programs, NAVTEQ. "This preeminent event continues to encourage innovation among developers worldwide across all major mobile platforms. We are excited about the creativity and variety of location-based applications that will be showcased during the APAC region's final round of judging."
Final judging will take place on Monday, June 14, at the Shangri-La Hotel in Singapore.
Visit www.LBSChallenge.com for information on the other four regions in this year's competition: Europe-Middle East-Africa (EMEA), North America, India and South America.
Notes to Editors
NAVTEQ and sponsoring companies are offering prizes that contribute to a global prize pool of over $10 million dollars US in cash, tool and data licenses, and handsets, making the NAVTEQ Global LBS Challenge one of the industry's most rewarding developer competitions. In addition, "Best of" recognition awards will be awarded in various categories to recognize achievements in particular areas.
Bing Maps, deCarta, DeviceAnywhere, DigitalGlobe, HTC, Intel Moblin, RIM, Samsung and Tanla globally sponsor the 2010 NAVTEQ Global LBS Challenge. Imagination Technologies and Mobile Distillery are global award sponsors, with The Code Project, GPS Business News and MundoGeo serving as media sponsors.
The Global LBS Challenge Awards Ceremony will be held on Monday, June 14 at an invite-only event at the Shangri-La Hotel, 22 Orange Grove Road, 258350, Singapore. Journalists interested in attending should contact Shaw Wun Lim at Email Contact or John Wernecke at Email Contact.
About the NAVTEQ Global LBS Challenge®
First launched in 2003, the NAVTEQ Global LBS Challenge is a worldwide competition conducted by NAVTEQ Network for Developers™ (NN4D), daring application developers around the world to build innovative location-based services (LBS) using dynamic positioning technology and NAVTEQ® maps. Integrating the accuracy and richness of NAVTEQ digital map data and LBS content facilitates the timely evolution of the next wave of location-aware applications. The Global LBS Challenge has become the premier event in the LBS industry for shining the spotlight on global LBS innovation and opportunity. Over 32% of the finalists from the past six years have gone on to receive venture capital funding or launch commercially-distributed applications. For more information on this year's competition, go to www.LBSChallenge.com.
About NAVTEQ Network for Developers™
NAVTEQ Network for Developers (NN4D) is a dynamic web portal and global community that provides developers and business partners with the technical and business support needed to build, showcase and launch the most innovative location-enabled solutions. NN4D includes resources such as mapping APIs, LBS content, point of interest data and routing information as well as geospatial platforms and tools from NAVTEQ and its partners. Members can rely on NN4D when creating GPS-based applications for the web, mobile phones, GIS and portable navigation devices that employ traffic, navigation, location content and location-based advertising for enterprise and consumer use. Connect with the people, tools and resources you need to build and market your location-enabled products by joining today at www.NN4D.com/joindevelopers.
NAVTEQ is the leading global provider of maps, traffic and location data (digital location content) enabling navigation, location-based services and mobile advertising around the world. NAVTEQ supplies comprehensive digital location content to power automotive navigation systems, portable and wireless devices, Internet-based mapping applications and government and business solutions. The Chicago-based company was founded in 1985 and has approximately 4700 employees located in 204 offices in 46 countries.
In the Asia Pacific region, the NAVTEQ® map has 100% coverage of Australia, China (including Hong Kong and Macau), Malaysia, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan and Thailand, with additional coverage in Indonesia and India and over 5 million kilometers of roads mapped in the region.
NAVTEQ, NAVTEQ Network for Developers and Global LBS Challenge are trademarks of NAVTEQ in the U.S. and other countries. All rights reserved.
Stella Smith of NAVTEQ
Email Contact for NAVTEQ