The deadline for the SURFCAM Gallery Contest has been extended to February 28, 2009!
1st - SURFCAM Velocity 3-axis
2nd - SolidWorks PDA
3rd - Portable DVD Player
Here are some of the great entries we've received so far.
Woodland Trade Co.
Jon Kammerer Guitars
"Minority Report" Lexus
Creative Teknologies Corp.
Hutch BMX Pedal
Trick Bike Company
SURFCAM Gallery Contest
SURFCAM Tech Tip
A Letter from the President
Surfware is proud to announce the opening of the Surfware Demo and Training Center in Camarillo, California. This state-of-the-art facility will serve many functions. It will be a multi-media center where live demonstrations of TrueMill and SURFCAM will be filmed and made available on our website, YouTube and other venues. We plan to host live webcasts, where people around the country and the world can view a real-time demonstration of TrueMill cutting materials such as titanium on a Haas machine.
The Center will also serve as a R&D site where additional research on the vast potential of the TrueMil technology will take place. The results of this research will benefit the machining industry worldwide.
Finally, to ensure that visitors to the Demo Center feel at home, we made the facility a bright and comfortable place to visit. With the opening of the Demo Center, Surfware is continuing its commitment to product excellence and innovation.
On the SURFCAM Velocity 4 front, work is well underway on the next release. We want to emphasize that many of the SolidWorks-related features you have been asking for will be in this new release. To see videos of the new SolidWorks functionality coming soon, please go to the
Part Modeling page.
Stephen A. Diehl
WHAT'S NEW @ SURFWARE.COM
Check out all the great new information on our
SURFCAM CASE STUDY
- Company Name: SWH Design
- Industry: Automotive
- Name: Steve Hetrick
- Part Description: Custom “One-Off” set of aluminum wheels for ’63 Chevrolet Nova Station Wagon
- Material Used: 6061-T6 rotary forged aluminum wheel blanks
Overview: This is a set of wheels that I’ve wanted to create for a very long time. After machining the parts they were not benched, polished, or touched up in any fashion (other than de-burring) prior to being clear-coated. Any and all slight “chatter” marks were left to add to the true machined character of the wheels. The clear-coat was applied to the wheels so that the natural “As-Milled” finish would not be tarnished and would retain its natural look under the conditions of driving and of course cleaning… (After all, the wheels are for a show car!)
This set of wheels was a straightforward 3-Axis job, done on straightforward machinery. The SURFCAM machining functionality used was 3-axis Z Rough, and 3-axis Cut. Where SURFCAM really shined on this part, and what most people can’t believe, is that 99% of the ENTIRE project was completed in SURFCAM. All 2D drafting, 3D modeling and toolpath creation was done in SURFCAM. (The other 1% was a surface created in Rhino). Most people don’t believe that a CAD/CAM package can create surfaces good enough to get a really nice surface finish. They all think you need Alias, or Catia, to get something really nice. Not so!
I learned really fast that all surface models are not created equal, and the input model has far more to do with the quality of the finished part than (I think) most people realize, especially using the 3-axis CUT feature. SURFCAM was (and is) my tool of choice, and I was pleased with the finished product. These aluminum wheels show SURFCAM in all its facets and functionality and its application in a “real-shop” type of environment.