Manual Process in the Product Development Process
Current material selection process is manual and labor intensive
- Relies upon prior experience, inquiries with manufacturer rep., or paper-
Inconsistent material decisions based on limited information
- Experience base varies among decision makers.
- Impossible for any one person or team to keep up with industry changes.
No automation in a 100% automated design environment.
- Current material selection process is applicable to 3D design software (RMA)
vs. design draft boards (manual selection process).
Design requirements and cost considerations are independent
- No methodology to weigh cost vs. benefit of material.