GISCafe
   >> GIS - Remote Sensing; Imagery
Thread views: 3655 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

avinsinanan
(Stranger )
11/05/10 01:00 PM
Satellite Image Processing Question Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Dear Members,

I am new to this forum. Just to give you some background. I am presently pursuing my Masters (M.Sc) in Geo-Informatics.  Upon doing a tutorial I came across a question I cannot seem to get a clear answer for. I would like to request your assistance.  The question is as follows -

"With reference to image acquisition, processing, and applications, what are the major differences between satellite remote sensing and aerial photogrammetry?"

With regards to the question i was able to search and find answers to note the difference with regards to ACQUISITION and APPLICATIONS.  However I am really stuck on the PROCESSING item.

It possible someone could point me in a direction to answer the processing part so I can do some reasearch.

Thank You.

Edited by avinsinanan on 11/05/10 04:54 PM.

pbeaty
(Newbie)
11/29/12 05:13 AM
Re: Satellite Image Processing Question new [re: avinsinanan]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Download and read the "ERDAS Field Guide"

gisdude
(Stranger )
01/30/13 12:18 PM
Re: Satellite Image Processing Question new [re: pbeaty]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Many thanks for the tip for the ERDAS guide. I'm just a newbie when it comes to remote sensing (but I'm a GIS Vet). I'm just skimming through it, but seems to be quite a lot of information.

Thanks again

bmaharjan
(Stranger )
02/05/13 06:44 AM
Re: Satellite Image Processing Question new [re: avinsinanan]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

That is such a broad general question. It doesn't mention which satellite sensor or aerial sensor. There are various spectral and spatial resolutions on both types of sensor imagery. Here are some general difference between these two types of remotely sensed data.

Satellite Imagery: Larger foot print, consistent off nadir angle, multi-spectral

Aerial Imagery: Smaller foot print, inconsistent off nadir angle (some parts will have more shadow than the other), usually limited spectral resolution.

Due to these differences, satellite imagery are used for large scale (regional - global) analysis while aerial imagery are used for small scale (local) analysis. Also, aerial imagery might need data calibration to minimize off nadir and solar angle effects. 

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Optech
CADalog.com - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Click here for Internet Business Systems © 2014 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 210, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408) 850-9202 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and EngineeringEDACafe - Electronic Design AutomationTechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes	MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and EngineeringShareCG  - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy