GISCafe
   >> GIS Tools
Thread views: 60773 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

MatroxGIS
(Stranger )
04/07/03 03:08 PM
Viewing GIS and CAD Apps in Multiple Screens Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I've been working with professionals in the fields of GIS, CAD, and Satellite Imaging to enhance varying software usage scenarios. For many users, there is a strong business case for using multiple monitors to work at designing and managing assets such as buildings and equipment.

One of the principal bottlenecks to additional productivity continues to be opening and closing windows to access the relevant live tasks.

Multiple-monitor video cards allow you to view more information at once. Matrox also has products to accelerate OGL in a stretched desktop mode spanning up to three displays.

At WinHec in 2002, Microsoft's David Williams made a comment about how much more productive and intuitive it can be to work in a multi-monitor environment. In their studies, some tasks could be performed up to 50% faster just by eliminating the need to toggle back and forth between multiple apps opened on the task bar.

The following link takes you to the Microsoft web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/billgates/speeches/2002/04-18winhec.asp

I am interested in hearing from people that use GIS and CAD applications and whether you use (or would like to use) two or three displays to work in. I am also interested in feedback from people that use specialty displays (like the IBM T221 and/or high response-rate grayscale monitors). And I would like to know who uses stereo and how.

I would also like to know what questions you GIS and CAD users have about going to multiple monitors.

I have a multitude of screen shots available for anyone who is interested in seeing various apps in action on two or three monitors.

I hope to hear from you GIS and CAD professionals.

Matrox link: http://www.matrox.com/mga/workstation/3dws/home.cfm

Regards.

Sam Recine

haven104
(Stranger )
08/20/03 06:45 PM
Re: Viewing GIS and CAD Apps in Multiple Screens new [re: MatroxGIS]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I currently use a Matrox Millenium G550 with a pair of Philips 107S4's. I like having the two screns, and believe that productivity is increased by not having to switch between documents.
Now the bad bits - All system windows appear centered between the two screens making it hard to read them. With the DVD Max feature, the video is supposed to appear in the second display. Fair enough and it does a good job. But is stays there when the initial window is closed, overriding everything including the taskbar.

Generally though, two monitors seem better than one. I have more problems with Arcview crashing than I do with the monitors.

MatroxGIS
(Stranger )
01/09/04 01:08 PM
Re: Viewing GIS and CAD Apps in Multiple Screens new [re: haven104]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

The problems with the dialogue boxes are resolvable.

Updating the drivers will resolve the DVD-Max issue.
http://www.matrox.com/mga/support/drivers/latest/home.cfm

Regarding the windows popping up in the middle, you can use the "Center Dialogue Box" feature that helps you control that in the drivers.

If a hardware upgrade is being considered, the Matrox Parhelia line would be a good thing to consider.

ESRI applications have been certified for this line.
http://www.matrox.com/mga/workstation/3dws/driver.cfm

GIS Business Development

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Trimble
Teledyne Optech
CADalog.com - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy