GISCafe
   >> GIS Tools
Thread views: 1500 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

gisdude
(Stranger )
11/21/12 11:32 AM
4th band in rasters Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I recently came across a "trivia" (although not too trivial) question asking me what is the 4th band typically? I've ony come across this once and it was after I had used a photoshop program to "lighten" an aerial that I had downloaded.

Any ideas on this one?

Thx,

luizcortes
(Stranger )
11/23/12 04:44 AM
Re: 4th band in rasters new [re: gisdude]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

4th band in a aerial imagery typically is a Infrared band. When you display the 4th band as first channel (or Red filter) and the 1st and 2nd bands in the subsquent channels - 1st band as green and 2nd band a blue - you will see a false color infrared image.

gisdude
(Stranger )
11/25/12 09:02 PM
Re: 4th band in rasters new [re: luizcortes]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

ouch! I got that one wrong!

so, riddle me this...when you are using say, landsat 7 etm rasters - they typically have several bands, right? You just need to know which bands to "use" for your research, correct?

I need to improve my raster/rs skills...

pbeaty
(Stranger )
11/29/12 04:26 AM
Re: 4th band in rasters new [re: gisdude]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Landsat 7 has:

6 optical bands (blue, green, red, near infrared, two mid infrared)

2 thermal infrared bands (actually a high gain and low gain setting of the section of the electromagnetic spectrum)

1 panchromatic band (higher resolution of bands 1 - 4)

Edited by pbeaty on 11/29/12 04:28 AM.

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Copernicus masters: Sign Up for Earth monitoring Competition 2014
CADalog.com - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Click here for Internet Business Systems © 2014 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 210, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408) 850-9202 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and EngineeringEDACafe - Electronic Design AutomationTechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes	MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and EngineeringShareCG  - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy