GISCafe
   >> GIS Education
Thread views: 12002 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

khmerguy
(Stranger )
02/12/09 01:37 AM
Create route from waypoint Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hi,

I'm new to ArcGIS, I have waypoint layer. What I need is to create route from that point. Could anyone tell me how to do it?

Thanks.

Edited by khmerguy on 02/12/09 01:42 AM.

khmerguy
(Stranger )
02/18/09 05:55 PM
Re: Create route from waypoint new [re: khmerguy]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

why there's no one help me?

Diomedes
(Stranger )
03/16/09 02:30 PM
Re: Create route from waypoint new [re: khmerguy]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I just saw your post, do you still need help with this?  What version of ArcView are you using? 

khmerguy
(Stranger )
06/03/09 09:18 PM
Re: Create route from waypoint new [re: Diomedes]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Maybe a bit long but I still need help on this and have more question addon above relating waypoint. I use ArcGIS 9.2.

What I need help is I have coordinate x,y in excel or txt file. Then I want to create routeline from that file. How should I do it?

Thanks.

Euklides
(Stranger )
09/15/09 04:48 PM

Sorry for my response 3 month later.  I don't know how new you are to this, but I would do the following:

1. In Excel, make sure that your X and Y columns are formatted to be numbers (not general).
2. In arcmap go to Tools> Add XY Data.
3. Click on the folder button and navigate to your excel spreadsheet.  Select it.
4. In the field that says "X Field:" click on the drop down menu and select the name of the column from your excel spreadsheet that has your X values in it.
5. Repeat the same procedure for the "Y Field:"  except select the column with your Y values.
6. Click the edit button below the box that says "Unknown Coordinate System" and navigate to the folder where the coordinate system is that you used to collect your XY data.  When that is done, click ok to close the Add XY Data window.
7. You will be warned that you you can't perform certain functions with your data because it is a spreadsheet, don't worry about it, just click ok. Your data should appear as a line of points. 
8. Create a shapefile from your data, to do this, in the table of contents, right-click on your layer>data>export data and navigate to where you want to save your shapefile. Name it, save it, display it in arcmap.  Remove your XY data layer that references the spreadsheet.
9. Create a new Line shapefile. 
10. Start an editing session, set your snapping so that as you draw your line, the cursor will snap to each point.  Draw your line. 
11. Save your edits in the edit session.  Stop editing. 

Your done. 

Hope this helps if not let me know if you have any other questions.  I'll try to respond sooner next time.

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Trimble
CADalog.com - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy