GISCafe
   >> GIS Education
Thread views: 79468 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Rocky
(Stranger )
10/19/04 08:14 PM
good places to learn programming new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I'm new to the forum, and I did a search for this topic but didn't find any existing threads. Sorry if this is a duplicate of some other post.

I am interested in learning some programming languages that are useful for GIS work. The one I encounter the most is Visual Basic, and I don't know anything about it. Can anybody suggest a good site or other resource that would explain the basics to me? I would also appreciate the same information for any other language.

For reference, I am a student of environmental policy so I don't have a strong computer background. I want to start learning VB and other GIS-related programming because I am thinking of gearing my career toward GIS technology more than science or policy. Thanks in advance for you help.

Remy
(Stranger )
10/21/04 10:16 AM
Re: good places to learn programming new [re: Rocky]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Here are 3 sites on line that might help. You might consider going to the college book store and picking up a lab manual for students learning visual basic. Usually visual basic software is provided on a CD with the book.

http://www.free-ed.net/fr03/lfc/030202/120/

http://www.vbtutor.net/

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdntv/episode.aspx?xml=episodes/en/20040923vbasicjr/manifest.xml

(602) 534-6847
(602) 481 2596
200 W Washington St (12th Floor)
Phoenix AZ 85004

arcdex
(Stranger )
07/03/06 04:50 AM
Re: good places to learn programming [re: Rocky]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

diveintopython.com

ArcDex GIS Blog

mymhj
(Stranger )
09/23/06 03:40 AM
Re: good places to learn programming new [re: Remy]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

make arduours effort!!!
i belive you will seccessful

bilive

Kyle Kaufman
(Stranger )
11/08/06 05:04 AM
Re: good places to learn programming new [re: Rocky]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

If you are trying to learn about GIS, my class uses a great book called GTKAV... getting to know arcview. Its a good book. My teacher, Mrs. Hawkins gives us a lot of great help. The class is called GIS II AP. We also use ESRI and a lot of great software programs. I dont know if you have that book or program to work with, but thats the way I learned how to use GIS and I'm getting a scholarship to college for it. Let me know if you need anymore help.

wja120
(Stranger )
11/28/06 01:06 PM
Re: good places to learn programming new [re: Kyle Kaufman]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Your best choice is to look at the classes offered on ESRI's website. They have several (free I beleive) intro's to VBA. This is the best way to go because the actual VBA is quite easy to learn. It only becomes difficult when you start dealing with ArcObjects - the elements that allow you to customize ESRI software. The free classes are the best way to start, then move on to the higher level classes. IN college I bought the book 'Getting to know ArcObjects' which was a great start.

Jolicoeur
(Stranger )
01/29/07 12:40 PM
Re: good places to learn programming new [re: wja120]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hi

I want to learn VB and VBA also. Your recomendation sounds good. One question though, don't you have to buy and own VB 6 or another version from Microsoft to learn? VB 6 costs about 700 dollars.

Thanks

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Trimble
CADalog.com - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy