GISCafe
   >> GIS Education
Thread views: 13880 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

chtan
(Stranger )
03/03/08 01:04 PM
A question about importing files into GIS Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I've just been thrown into the new world of GIS so my question may seem fairly ridiculous:

I have a header file, a projection file and an unknown file that is supposedly in "2-byte big-endian integer grid format".

I was wondering if there was any way to view this file in GIS since support tech from the organization that supplied the data said I can view it in GIS. If anyone can help me, and needs to see the files, please email me. I need help desperately. Thanks!

jlh
(Stranger )
03/12/08 10:04 AM
Re: A question about importing files into GIS new [re: chtan]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Without knowing what type of raster file format (other than it being an integer grid)  this is, no way to know for sure which GIS applications are capable of reading it.

GDAL (an open source raster data swiss army knife) has a command line utility program called "gdalinfo" that will display a lot of information about most kinds of raster data files. Using gdalinfo to examine your file might be your best bet in figuring out what format raster data you have. 

http://www.gdal.org/formats_list.html

There is a windows installer package for "FWTools" that contains a prebuilt copy of GDAL. You can get it here: 

http://fwtools.maptools.org/

The FWTools package also comes with an application called "OpenEV" that can display any of the raster formats that GDAL understands.

lfaulkner
(Stranger )
03/14/08 11:23 AM
Re: A question about importing files into GIS new [re: chtan]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

chtan,

If you are still having trouble looking at your data, I'm happy to help.

You can contact me at lfaulkner@stm-usa.com and we can arrange to open your file and tell you what you want to know.

Sincerely, Lawrence Faulkner, President, Solid Terrain Modeling, Inc.

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Trimble
CADalog.com - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy