GISCafe
   >> GIS Education
Thread views: 10243 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Euklides
(Stranger )
09/15/09 05:24 PM
New to 3D Analyst/ArcScene Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

We just got 3D Analyst and I'm trying to learn how to use it.  My final objective is to create a fly through in arcscene that I can export into a format that can be viewed by non GIS users.  That aside I will start with some of my basic difficulties. 

1.  Why does my .img that looks good in arcmap look terribly grainy in ArcScene?
2.  Is there a measure tool in ArcScene?  I can't seem to find one.
3.  I want to bring in a .ecw into arcScene, that is about 900megs, but it won't load arcscene just dies. 

These are some of this issues I'm having.  Originally we used Google Earth Pro for fly throughs, but the aerial imagery was not current enough so that is one of the reasons why we opted for 3d analyst in this case.  Just curious, is this goal attainable?  Thoughts, comments and suggestions are all welcome.

Thanks.

BroadbandTech
(Stranger )
04/06/10 12:27 PM
Re: New to 3D Analyst/ArcScene new [re: Euklides]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

1. Two things

First: The resolution of your image will automatically be changed to a lower quality resolution, in order to fix this, open the properties of your .img. Cllick on the base heights tab, under the statement "Obain heights for layer from surface" there is a button that says "Raster Reslution." Here you can increase the resolution of your .img.

Second: In the layer properties, go to the Rendering tab and select the checkbox "Shade areal features relative to the scene's light position. Also you can max out the bar from Low to high for "Quality enhancement for raster images."

Edited by BroadbandTech on 04/06/10 12:27 PM.

GlenD
(Stranger )
10/06/10 07:45 PM
Re: New to 3D Analyst/ArcScene new [re: BroadbandTech]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hi

I'm having the same problem with ArcScene. A satellite image that is at a good resolution when viewed in ArcMap becomes too blocky to discern any detail in ArcScene. The 'Raster Resolution' button under the base heights tab is greyed out though, so I can't use it. Adjusting the quality enhancement slider doesn't make any difference. Any idea what the problem might be? 

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Optech
CADalog.com - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Click here for Internet Business Systems © 2014 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 210, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408) 850-9202 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and EngineeringEDACafe - Electronic Design AutomationTechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes	MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and EngineeringShareCG  - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy