GISCafe
   >> GIS - Remote Sensing; Imagery
Thread views: 45153 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

heatherstager
(Stranger )
07/24/06 04:12 PM
eCognition new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hi there,

I´m just starting to use eCognition and I wondered if anyone has any opinions on this software or any suggestions for first time users?

I appreciate all your help and hopefully in the future we can exchange some ideas.

cheers,
Heather

hoagy
(Stranger )
07/29/06 07:00 PM
Re: eCognition new [re: heatherstager]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I used eCognition about a year ago, but minimally. I was not able to do everything I wanted to because the documentation was very slight. I would be interested in learning more about its operation.

csmladinich
(Stranger )
08/15/06 05:51 AM
Re: eCognition [re: heatherstager]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hi Heather,

I have been using eCog for quite a number of years now. If you are a traditional imager processor, forget just about everything you know. This software takes a very different approach to processing imagery. On thing I found very help full were the tutorials in the back of the manual. I was able to find an example very close (same imagery type) to my own work. I stepped though that with my own imagery. This gave me a good feel on how I might approach my own project. I have just started a new project and have spent a lot of time just on segmenting. In my case I wanted to break out the water area from everything else. It is much easier to work in steps - I start with the largest items, classify those then start working on other items at diferent (smaller scale) sizes. It often takes a while to get the scale, color, shape parameters correct to be able to get the majority, in this case, the stream channels. There are also settling ponds in my image and I have been fairly successful in separating the ponds from the streams which surprised me. It's all in playing with the different segmentation parameters.

I did a presentation for beginners at the eCog user meeting in Philadelphia a couple of years ago. I don't know if it is on the Definiens website but I can send it to you if you would like.

Carol

MichelleW
(Stranger )
09/06/06 05:40 AM
Re: eCognition new [re: heatherstager]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hi Heather,

Ecog is a fabulous software once you get the hang of it, the definiens user forum is very helpful as well if you're looking for a specific task or work around, there are quite a few postings there from other users.

Michelle

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Optech
HPSA Designations and GIS Manager

Click here for Internet Business Systems © 2014 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 210, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408) 850-9202 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and EngineeringEDACafe - Electronic Design AutomationTechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes	MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and EngineeringShareCG  - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy