GISCafe
   >> GIS Tools
Thread views: 3987 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

TheLegend
(Stranger )
07/29/10 07:00 AM
Power Computing new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hello! I noticed this is one of the more active GIS forums online, and thought I might stop in to see if I could get some advice, as well as give back to the community.

My name is Ryan Mendieta and I will be beginning my graduate studies at the University at Buffalo starting in August. I have decided to pursue an MS in Geographic Information Systems and Science (just graduated w/Geography degree last semester).

I've been doing some work for a research group called LESAM (http://lesami.geog.buffalo.edu/lesam/) and have started to work with Lidar data. The TINS I am working with are approximately 90 MB each.

My question to the GISCafe community is this: if you had a budget of around $1500 usd, what computer would you consider buying? I've seen something like an Intel i7, 1tb disk, 16 gb ram going for about that price, but I'm not really sure if this is enough, or even too little power. I assume the video card is the most important thing here, but again, I'm not sure where to start in terms of power.

I would really appreciate any comments, suggestions, anything. Thanks for reading!

-TL

GEOHACKER
(Stranger )
11/02/10 02:28 PM
Re: Power Computing [re: TheLegend]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

You just speced out my desktop to the tee. The only problem that i have found would be in the area of the OS. Im running win7 64 bit. "EXTREMELY FAST COMPUTER". However, with this rocketship of a platform comes a MONSTER of a drawback. On the vector side of LIDAR, your average program "EVEN THOUGH IT IS RUNNING AS A 32 BIT PROCESS" will perform with unparalled speed. The problem is with the RASTER aspect of data manipulation. DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT USING ESRI. To my knowledge there is only one software Pkg. that has Native 64 bit GDAL libs. GLOBAL MAPPER. This dude will flat out haul ass. I LOVE IT. Using global mapper with Command line Gdal - http://www.gdal.org/ - will give you computing power like you have never seen before.

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Trimble
CADalog.com - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy