>> GIS Tools
Thread views: 2168 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

(Stranger )
11/08/11 09:47 AM
Unzipping raster files with the .gz extension Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I am trying to unzip a raster file for use with ArcMap. The compressed file's name ends with the .gz extension. After I unzip the file using 7zip, the unzipped file (named same as the compressed file but without the .gz) appears as an empty folder in ArcCatalog. A further reading of the Help section on the source web site reveals that, if the file was not uncompressed on-the-fly (it wasn't) and if, when opening the file with a word processor, ASCII characters are to be seen (they are), then the file is already uncompressed (and presumably ready to be used as-is). But, when I try to navigate to it in ArcCatalog without unzipping it, I don't see the file at all. Has anyone been in that situation before, and how did they unzip files with this (.gz) extension?

Thank you all for the information.

Jump to

Teledyne Optech
University of Denver GIS Masters Degree Online
Teledyne: - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy