GISCafe
   >> GIS Tools
Thread views: 2521 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Mike_Leask
(Stranger )
03/13/12 09:19 AM
App or Program for Steamline Adding Data Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hi all, I am new to the Forum so my appoligies if this topic has been covered. I am looking to see if there is a app or program or something for ArcGIS 10 that steamlines adding data to columns. The example is what I would be using it for.

A manhole (Point feature) has 4 possible inverts - north, south, east, west and lines connecting to the manhole that could be in those 4 directions. In the point feature I have those 4 columns (N, S, E, W) and data in those columns. In the line I have 2 columns InvFrom & InvTo representing the inverts but they have no data. I want to be able (with the program) click the line and point (manhole) and have the option of which column to fill instead of manually typing it in.

Does anyone know of a program that would work in ArcGIS 10 that does this. Or maybe there is something existing or different procedure you could suggest.

Thanks

Mike

jtibu
(Stranger )
03/20/12 12:58 PM
Re: App or Program for Steamline Adding Data new [re: Mike_Leask]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

If I understand correctly you just want your attribute options to be displayed as a drop down menu. This is possible to do within ArcGIS but you need to work with a geodatabase to achieve this.

Whithin a geodatabase you can set up your Domains, which in a nutshell is a list of all the possible values that a field can have. So once you create your domain, you assign it to the necessary attribute. So for your example, you create a Domain with North, South, East, West and then assign it to the InvFrom and InvTo fields. Once you start editing in ArcGIS10, and you display a selected features attributes, you are able to choose from a drop down menu the options you have stated.

Look up the help menu in ArcGIS and look up Domains in case you have more questions, or post back here if you need more assistance.

Cheers

AvgJoe
(Stranger )
03/27/12 08:07 AM
Re: App or Program for Steamline Adding Data new [re: Mike_Leask]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Mike,

I think you're going about this the wrong way (aka looking good now, but causing you major grief down the road - database normalization).  If you think of a manhole in terms of street intersection, you should have a field for Inv_Dir (just like in a street table, Str_Dir).  An alternative would be to use something along the lines of a Dir_Ref field (Directional Reference).  This will allow you to have a one-to-one relationship with your InvFrom and InvTo fields.  Additionally, this will also allow you to use directions like "SW", "NE", "SE", "NW", etc.

Hope this helps.

AvgJoe

Mike_Leask
(Stranger )
04/04/12 08:51 AM
Re: App or Program for Steamline Adding Data new [re: AvgJoe]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Thanks for your reply. I will definetly look into these options.

Thanks

Mike

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Click here for Internet Business Systems © 2014 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 210, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408) 850-9202 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and EngineeringEDACafe - Electronic Design AutomationTechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes	MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and EngineeringShareCG  - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy