GISCafe
   >> GIS Tools
Thread views: 2276 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

scienceOfWhere
(Stranger )
07/16/13 07:52 AM
Is there a tool to convert KMLs? Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hi everyone, I recently went through the headache of importing a kml file to a PostGIS database. I had to use ogr2ogr, install the expat library, update my GDAL library, and all of it happened from the command line... it was a difficult process even after I learned the solution.

Since it took me all of Saturday afternoon to accomplish a task that should probably take 15min, I found myself thinking... why isn't there an app for that!? Well, if you want it, I will build it!

The app will have a GUI and use the correct GDAL library including expat and libxml, so you can simply and quickly add KML files to a GIS database. It will look and feel similar to the GUI shape file importer for PostGIS.

As well all know, KML files are becoming more and more common. I certainly could have used this app last Saturday.

Here is the link to purchase the app - http://franklin-page.com/kmlconverter/

It will take about a week to build the application once I get three (3) orders. I will keep you posted on the number of orders so y'all know how close we are. I will also post an update once the app is complete.

Cheers.

mhagan
(Stranger )
08/22/13 04:24 PM
Re: Is there a tool to convert KMLs? new [re: scienceOfWhere]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Do you have access to ArcGIS? It's really easy in ArcGIS -- bring up ArcMap, open a basemap, open the "Search" window and click "Tools" then type KML which will bring up "KML TO LAYER (CONVERSION" -- click on that link and a window will pop up. In the top blank line, navigate to the KML file you want, in the second line make sure you browse to where ever you want to save your converted file (the third line usually autofills, but you can give your file any name you desire), then click "OK"
It takes a little while but it's all automatic.

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Trimble
Teledyne Optech
CADalog.com - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy