GISCafe
   >> GIS Tools
Thread views: 68873 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Jason
(Stranger )
11/08/01 10:23 AM
coord of point theme? new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I was wondering if anyone knew of an extension for ArcView 3.2 which would give you the lat/long coordinates of points in a point shapefile? Or, an easy way of figuring out the lat/long coordinates of a point?
Thanks,
Jason

jlawhead
(Stranger )
11/21/01 08:14 AM
Re: coord of point theme? new [re: Jason]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Jason,
One of my company's clients had a similar problem. They wanted to be able to extract lat/long coordinates from point shapefiles as well as center point coordinates from polygon shapefiles.

We ended up building our own software to do just that. The program is written in Java so it will run on any platform that Java runs on. It is a command-line tool that outputs the results into a comma delimited file with a selected attribute field followed by the latitude and longitude points. Our client is then able to import that information into the program or database of their choice. Our development team can modify the program to suit other client needs if necessary.

We retail the program for $100. I don't know if your need justifies purchasing a piece of software but I thought I'd toss it out as an option anyway.

Our company is PixSell and we are on the Web at http://www.pixsell.com. Feel free to contact us if you would like more information.

My name is Joel Lawhead and my number is 228-688-3391.

Good Luck!

omanske
(Stranger )
01/30/02 11:51 AM
Re: coord of point theme? new [re: Jason]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Intergraph has a free extension to GeoMedia that will perform this function on their website.

My suggestion would be to get a trial version of GeoMedia, download the extension from Intergraph's website and run your analysis.

Owen

james-r-n
(Stranger )
03/02/02 11:15 PM

Jason,

There is a wealth of information on this question. The first stop should be ArcScripts (http://www.esri.com/arcscripts) where you can download free scripts to do this.

You could also use some of the ESRI forums or email lists where other users have done exactly what you want to do.

Of course, I think that if you wanted to do this on a one off basis, that it is built into the software :-)

James

Longenecker
(Stranger )
01/06/03 12:46 PM
Re: coord of point theme? [re: james-r-n]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I have a solution which is a bit crude but will get your job done if you are in a rush and you don't have too many points to obtain lat/long for.
I know that when you use ArcGIS 8.1 and up that you can create a grid with lat/long as the primary interval. To see this grid you can goto layout view and turn on the grid in the data frame you intialy set it up in. You can use this grid to get a rough estimate of lat/long cords.

That's my best contribution.

Longenecker

Mapgyver
(Stranger )
11/15/06 02:01 AM

Hi There,

This is something I have needed to do many times over the years, and it is quite easy when you find the tool that suits your purpose.

I suggest starting with this link: http://arcscripts.esri.com/scripts.asp?pg=1&sb=1&ob=asc&eDate=&n=&top=&eLang=&eProd=&perPage=10&eDesc=on&eQuery=Add+AND+XY&Submit2=search

These scripts will add 2 fields, and you will need to ensure your projection is set correctly, the accuracy of one of these that I have used is sub-millimetre so you may need to copy the XY into a new XY field will lower accuracy to avoid false detail.

The Arcscripts Website is a fantastic resource for these types of relatively simple queries that should really come as a standard tool.

There are options for adding an extension, or you will find at least one of them is an Avenue script. Forunately there are not many functions for A3.x that someone else hasnt already come across, I still use it occasionally when I havent got the time to sweet talk various files in ArcMap so they are "just so". But also many of these scripts will do the business for large gigabyte datasets.

Best of Luck,

Kind regards
Duane Wilkins
ESRI & GIS Enthusiast.
Wellington New Zealand
AKA Mapgyver.

Edited by Mapgyver on 11/15/06 02:02 AM.

scrabblehack
(Stranger )
02/01/07 08:14 AM

In help, look up "AddXY" -- there's an Avenue script right there for you.

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Trimble
Teledyne Optech
University of Denver GIS Masters Degree Online
CADalog.com - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy