GISCafe
   >> GIS Tools
Thread views: 61505 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Nevenall
(Stranger )
07/29/03 05:22 PM
Web GIS Component Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hello,
I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive and light weight alternative to Arc/IMS.
Right now I'm looking closely at AspMap, by vdstech, http://www.vdstech.com/aspmap.htm.
I wanted to see if anyone had any opinions about the AspMap product, or any others.

Thank you very much in advance.

Mike Exon
(Stranger )
07/30/03 02:44 AM
Re: Web GIS Component new [re: Nevenall]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hello,
Have you looked at webmap server?
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/

It is a Open source project that is very good and has been used for commercial implementations on many occasions.

It has a wicked fast response on shapfiles due to some clever quadtree indexing and supports loads of GIS formats including ArcSDE, SHP, MapInfo, and many images

Also try
http://www.freegis.org/index.en.html for other free GIS of quality.

cheers
Mike

Longenecker
(Stranger )
10/05/03 07:05 PM
Re: Web GIS Component new [re: Mike Exon]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Mike Exon do you know of any current web site that uses mapserver. I did puruse(sp?) a few of the links the web site provided. But I found most to broken or provide a very remedial example.

Got to love Open Source

Longenecker

npjrogers
(Stranger )
03/29/04 01:53 AM
Re: Web GIS Component new [re: Nevenall]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

suggest GRASS5 a good GIS based on open source..

also see www.freegis.org

I am using Grass5 on a Linux Box.. it will also run under windows..

Special Interest - Use of GIS for Economic Development

MattBlack
(Stranger )
05/27/04 04:19 AM

Try out ALOV.org for a very good tomcat distributed app, it acts as a WMS as well as a communicator between MySQL, SQL Server, POSTGRESQL, Interbase DB2 databases and web clients.

Rather good - and also rather free!!!

I am using it at the moment and find it good to customise (open source) and have enabled web browsing of GIS data within my organisation for free! Apache, Tomcat & MySQL (all opensource) along with ALOV have enabled me to achieve this.

Good luck!

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Trimble
Teledyne Optech
University of Denver GIS Masters Degree Online
CADalog.com - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy