GISCafe
   >> GIS User News and Reviews
Thread views: 7501 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Jack
(Unregistered)
10/09/08 03:03 PM
Orthorectified Landsat Digital Data Now Available From USGS new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Orthorectified Landsat Digital Data Now Available From USGS

Use this link to read the full article

Jack
(Unregistered)
Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

This article reminds me of several others I've run across over the past few years claiming that if you go to this website all the USGS Satellite data you find will be FREE. This article claims (as does the USGS) that "The US Geological Survey (USGS) now offers, at no cost, . . "
I really have to wonder if the author of this article actually visited the site of the URL he quotes: "http://eros.usgs.gov/products/satellite/landsat_ortho.html". On the second, maybe third 'page', you'll still run into a "SEARCH AND ORDER" page which presents you with this:
"All Landsat Orthorectified data currently available from the EDC archive may be searched and ordered online . . ." and at a price of $30.00/ scene or $60.00 per CD.
Same with the "GLOVIS" site, etc., etc.
Did the author bother to let the USGS know that their satellite data is now FREE? Does the USGS know their data is now FREE? Is the USGS actually endulging in false advertising?
I just spent 15 minutes cruising around the site, poking into every nook and cranny looking for all of this FREE DATA but found none!
Maybe the data is FREE but we pay for the shipping?
COME ON NOW! Either it is free or it isn't. To the USGS: if it is, then regenerate your website and remove all references to prices.

Dr. Joseph Kerski
(Unregistered)
new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Yes, *selected* Landsat is free. To access, go to earthexplorer.usgs.gov, then select any of the 3 orthorectified offerings: ETM +, ETM + pansharpened, or TM. Specify additional search criteria as appropriate. If the database finds any matches, it provides a download link on the results page.
I hope this is helpful.
Joseph Kerski - Geographer - USGS
jjkerski@usgs.gov

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Trimble
Teledyne Optech
University of Denver GIS Masters Degree Online
CADalog.com - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy