GISCafe
   >> Business Geographics
Thread views: 31443 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

MarkRead
(Stranger )
10/04/01 03:05 PM
Hand held convergence and Emergency Broadcast Sys? new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

It seems to me that once handhelds (i.e., Pocket PC 2002) support GPS, telephony and some rudimentary GIS/ location service capabilities, we may have an opportunity to re-engineer the Emergency Broadcast System and increase personal security by giving people a way out of disasters. Is anyone thinking or working on this? Is it totally impractical or just some years off?

SVS
(Stranger )
10/16/01 10:59 AM
Re: Hand held convergence and Emergency Broadcast Sys? new [re: MarkRead]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Please see my post entitled "Emergency Response Systems" on this list. I couldn't seem to get an icon for a "reply" to your post.

Thanks,
SVS

gator
(Stranger )
11/06/01 10:54 PM
Re: Hand held convergence and Emergency Broadcast Sys? [re: MarkRead]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Currently, GPS is being built into the wireless phones, ie. Quallcomm is already making them in San Diego, CA. For example people who call 911 from a mobile phone having driven their car off a bridge and submerged under water can be located via the GPS on their phone. In other words there is no address attached to the moblie phone like the "hard wired" phones in our residences. Emergency responders do not know where to go, especially if you don't know either... Lives can be saved when time is of the essence using GPS...

Frank

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Trimble
CADalog.com - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy