>> GIS Education
Thread views: 8480 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
(Stranger )
05/22/08 08:58 AM
Trimble to Google Earth new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hello all, this is my first question, and i'm hoping you guys can help me.

I've recently started with GIS at my work and i'm enjoying, but I have lots to learn.

To make the story short,  I took a alot of manhole shots with my Trimble GPS unit and I exported them to my Arcmap. Everything looks good but I would like to overlay the manhole points that i shot onto google earth.

How would I go about doing that? 

Also, In Arcmap, i clicked on one of the shots to identify it and it gave me the location for a specific manhole and its "642466.183876 405425.940554"   is that not the coordinates to where the shot is at?? How come I can't enter it onto my google earth?

Any help would be appreciated...thank you.

(Stranger )
06/16/08 11:33 AM
Re: Trimble to Google Earth [re:]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Your problem is that ArcMap works with non-KML, and Google Earth uses KML as the base format, and never the twain shall meet......unless you use a conversion script or software.  The GIS world is headed for greater interoperatability, but we aren't there yet!

The best conversion script I have found is available here: (kudos to K. Martin, Portland Bureau of Planning);  it is very easy to install, register, and use.

Just download the script and follow the easy-to-use directions (most of which are plug-and-play), and you will then be able to take your ArcMap data and export to KML directly from an ArcMap session.   After that, just launch GE, and use the File/Open path to load and view your data there.

Good luck!

GIS Division Mgr
City of Midland, TX

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Teledyne Optech
University of Denver GIS Masters Degree Online
Teledyne: - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy