GISCafe
   >> GIS Education
Thread views: 12403 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

SusieLu182
(Stranger )
07/22/08 06:58 PM
Please Help!! new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hey I was looking for some serious help!! I took a 2 day course in Houston on ArcGIS because my uncles was looking for someone to start doing GIS maps for his oil lease company... Well right after I took the class I went on vacation for a whole month, and I kept reading my material from the class and did some of the practice exercises and today I went and saw my unlce to see what it is he wants me to do.. and I cant figure out how to get it started.. He wants a map of an area in Hallsville Texas that will show all the differant tracts of land and who owns what and where all the active oil wells are.. and I have an idea of what to do on a map that was already half way created but I cant figure out how to get this map started and where to get all the info.. if anybody could please point me some kind of direction I would greatly appreciate it!! Susie

cbeckcom
(Stranger )
07/23/08 05:35 AM
Re: Please Help!! new [re: SusieLu182]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

For data you can try TNRIS, at least that will give you OTLS data.  For actual ownership you will need to query/visit the Marion County Appraisal District.  Oil and Gas is regulated by the Texas Railroad Commission.  They'll be glad to sell you data.  You might also try the regional COG in that part of TX.  Good luck.

Chris

bihodge
(Stranger )
07/28/08 06:10 AM
Re: Please Help!! new [re: SusieLu182]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Susie, you do have your work cut out for you, but Chris has put you on the right track.  The Orig. TX Land Survey (OTLS) polygon layer will give you the section, block, and survey info you will need to either visit the Harrison Co courthouse, or the county appraisal district online, from where you can do individual property searches.  TNRIS is your one-stop shopping place for base map data for anywhere in TX, but assembling the ownership data will not be easy!

The Tx RRC will also let you search online for wells by section and block, so that will help you track down and start to assemble data.   If your Uncle has some money to spend, you might try contacting P2 Energy Solutions, San Antonio (formerly Tobin).   They sell well and ownership data, but they aren't cheap.   

Midland Maps, Midland, TX, has a number of ownership maps in paper form for many TX counties, but I am not sure if Harrison is one of them. 

Good luck....

Bill

Bill
GIS Division Mgr
City of Midland, TX

SusieLu182
(Stranger )
07/28/08 07:17 AM
Re: Please Help!! [re: bihodge]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Thank you so much for the help, I did get the base maps downloaded from there and I was givin a .pdf of a map that has all the tracts outlined on it.. i think it is a Tobin.. but Im having problems georeferencing it over the ones I downloaded from TNRIS.. I gave the same coordinate system as the maps from TNRIS.. any suggestions?

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Trimble
CADalog.com - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy