GISCafe
   >> GIS Education
Thread views: 7636 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

ntg84
(Stranger )
09/11/08 08:13 AM
Question - Layers not alligning new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I've got 2 shape files, from two sources. One files is GCS_North_American_1983. The other is unknown. I set the file with the unknown coordinate system to match the known GCS_North_American_1983.

Then when I add both to the map, I get "Warning Inconsistent Extent..."
I checked the properties of both files. The original defined file has normal extents, the same Decimal Degress as the area I'm working in. However the earlier unknown file has the GCS coordinate system, but its extents are 11,000,000 decimal degrees! How do I get these to align? I've tried all types of projecting and reprojecting etc. Help! If needed I can attatch the two files I'm working with 

RemyAutz
(Stranger )
09/12/08 06:10 AM
Re: Question - Layers not alligning [re: ntg84]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

One of the first rules for GIS practice is to obtain metadata from the source of our files. Metadata would include the correct coordinate system. Sometimes it is possible to guess and fix things. I am willing to help you out of curiosity. Attach the original files and I will do my best to help you out of this situation.

env119273295@gmail.com

Remy Autz
GIS Trainer/Consultant
GISUCANDOIT

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Trimble
CADalog.com - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy