GISCafe
   >> GIS Education
Thread views: 6065 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

Jaguar3310
(Stranger )
04/13/09 08:20 AM
How to find location on shapefile given a lat long new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hello,

I am not very experienced with GIS development so please excuse my newbie question.

I need to be able to find out which county and legislative district a given address falls in and I was told that GIS would be a good solution for this. I have shape files for both the counties and legislative districts for my state and I also have software that will geocode the address and give me a lat/long. I just don't know how to use both of these items together to return the data. I do not need a user interface or any visual maps to display. I would just like to pass in the lat/long as variables and get the county and district back as variables.

I know there is a lot of free GIS software out there, but I am terribly confused when I try to figure out what software would work for my requirements.

If anyone has experience doing something like this, I would appreciate the help. Thanks

Jen

Edited by Jaguar3310 on 04/13/09 08:21 AM.

jakhx
(Stranger )
04/14/09 08:00 AM
Re: How to find location on shapefile given a lat [re: Jaguar3310]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hi, 

i think as long as your shapefiles and addresses (after geocoding) have the same projection, you can display them in software like ArcMap and you can then extract any given address that falls into your chosen geographic area.

If you want only variables, you can query your results into a table with the relevant co-relationships. 

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Trimble
CADalog.com - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy