>> GIS Education
Thread views: 6373 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

(Stranger )
11/22/09 12:06 PM
MA in GIS questions Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I'm looking into an MA in GIS.  I never took any college-level math or computer science courses.  I'm not great at math; I had a B average in high school.  The program I'm looking at requires 1 semester of statistics and 2 semesters of calculus and analytical geometry, as well as knowledge of a programming language.

Coming from a political theory background and holding an MA in that field, would a 2 year MA in GIS be enough for potential employers?

Would acceptance in a graduate program be possible if the math and programming language prerequisites could be met at a community college, or are they looking more for computer science, math or geography majors?

Can someone just jump into calculus, analytical geometry or statistics with little background, or does one have to take a slew of other courses just to understand what's going on?

(Stranger )
08/30/10 01:08 PM
Re: MA in GIS questions new [re: Voss]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I'm doing a masters in GIS at the moment, fair enough, i'm terrible at it but we havent needed to use maths at all. Ratios once or twice I think. A lot of excel stuff but not much actual math. Maybe the maths requirement is just as an entry requirement.

Good luck.

(Stranger )
07/26/11 07:50 PM
Re: MA in GIS questions new [re: lorraine]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I have a somewhat similar question, namely what's the deal with geography? GIS seems to be treated in academia as a branch of geography, not information technology. Most students in the master's program which I've looked into majored in geography as undergrads. Yet people I know personally insist that one should not study GIS without a bachelor's, and some years' work experience, in database programming. And I see where they're coming from. So whom am I to believe?

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Textron - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy