>> GIS Education
Thread views: 4715 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

(Stranger )
01/06/10 12:31 PM
GIS Hardware Config Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hi all

- keep in mind I may be asking the wrong question or from the wrong angle - 

I'm currently using ArcView Single-use license on a Dell Precision T5400 and am having speed issues.  I use GIS in a very specific way and need it to be very quick. 

I use it to map the results of logistic regression models that rank 5-digit zip codes based on how likely a resident of each ZIP is to be interested in each of our clients.  To do this I join our data (ZIP5 and a score 1-9) with a ZIP5 shapefile.  I need to create state maps and national maps, both using 5-digit zips.  

The state maps draw slowly, but bearably so.  The national maps are way too slow.  It takes 20+ minutes for each map to draw and 45min to many hours for them to print.  Often with Arc crashing in the process.  This means that if there is a conflict in labeling, or some other aspect, I need to click pause, wait for Arc to register & respond to my click (5+min), make the change, wait for drawing (20+min), check if fixed, if not repeat.

Is there a hardware (or software) setup that would allow me to speed up this process?  SAS or SSD based raid?  64bit (more RAM), multiple processor support, or CUDA/GPU support (ie.Manifold)?  

Ideally the national maps would draw within 2 minutes.  These maps give us vital insight into our models.  They must be produced quickly!

Joe Thompson
(Stranger )
01/19/10 02:32 PM
Re: GIS Hardware Config new [re: bookman3]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

I would check into Manifold, since their current release (8.0) is 64-bit native and load up on lots of RAM.  I use Manifold for applications that are usually far less demanding than what you are proposing, but even with large datasets in several different projections it almost never crashes on me.  I use it at home with only 3GB of RAM and its much faster and more reliable than Arc 9.3, which I use at work on a 32-bit machine with 2GB of RAM.

Joe Thompson

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Teledyne Optech
University of Denver GIS Masters Degree Online
Teledyne: - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy