GISCafe
   >> GIS Education
Thread views: 2888 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

boeraliz
(Stranger )
09/14/10 06:36 AM
what to study to work in GIS field? Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hello to all!

Maybe it is a bit off topic, but I see people with GIS working experience are gathered here, so I might give it a shot...and I really really need some advice on this one.

A bit of myself: I was studying Tourism at the Geography Dept. (dont ask, they arent related that much of course) and I had my first experience with GIS. I mean we had only 2 GIS courses, but I fell in love with it. Thats why I applied for an internship, which went very well, but in the end I didnt get hired and mainly, because I didnt have a degree in GIS.
Now I am starting my Master studies at the University of Zurich, but again at the Geography Dept. and I am afraid that it wont work out after all. I was searching for job offers and suddenly it hit me. Since I have no backgrounds in Informatics I am having doubts about finding a job basically with a Geography degree in the GIS field.

What I could do...
I cannot have Informatics as a minor subject at Masters level, because I dont have the necessary background. Anyway they offered me to do the Bachelor courses, but without the credit points, that means that I have to book other courses instead for the credit points and attend both of the courses. I was thinking to choose Planning of Landscapes and Urban Systems http://www.irl.ethz.ch/plus/ , but I dont think that it would replace my lack of Informatics basics. 
I am a bit desperate and I really dont know what to do.
Feel free to post any ideas, suggestions or advice. I would really appreciate it! Thank you very much!

Have a nice day,

Alice

Jump to

Trimble
Teledyne Optech
CADalog.com - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy