GISCafe
   >> GIS Education
Thread views: 4752 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

jfredricksmeyer
(Stranger )
05/13/11 08:22 AM
Seeking advice on pursueing GIS new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Dear GIS community.

I am considering studying GIS for a career change.

What are the best programming languages to learn? math to learn? best Arc programs to study. Which application areas of GIS offer the best prospects at this point? any info would be appreciated.

Thank you - John Fredricksmeyer

uhlman_w
(Stranger )
05/16/11 11:10 AM
Re: Seeking advice on pursueing GIS new [re: jfredricksmeyer]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hi John,

I have a couple of questions to ask?  What is your current educational and work background and what areas of GIS are you interested.  I have found that GIS is a tool that you use in a particular discipline (i.e. market research or civil engineering) and that you need to have a background in that field coupled with GIS in order to be successful.

The other area is computer programming and data base administration.  There is more work available for GIS professionals with these qualifications.  

As far as Arc courses these are pretty generic and most computer savy individuals with a strong knowledge of geographic principles can pick these up by working through the online courses or texts available from ESRI.  Get a strong background in .Net or C# and SQL and then do some ArcObjects training. 

I hope that this helps.

Cheers,

Bill

Kudza
(Stranger )
05/23/11 03:14 PM
Re: Seeking advice on pursueing GIS [re: jfredricksmeyer]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hi Bill,

I also have a similar questio n to John ,

I trained as a forester nearly ten years ago , and then went to do a diploma in GIS in Netherlands. I then took a career break to raise family for five years. Now I really do not know  where to  start to pursue my GIS career. There are not so many forestry based jobs in UK and are there any courses I can do to be on the right track. Someone suggested CAD but really not sure.

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Trimble
CADalog.com - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy