GISCafe
   >> GIS Education
Thread views: 7515 View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode

sean2me
(Stranger )
10/21/11 10:54 PM
Open Source GIS? Recommendations new Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hi I am currently undertaking the BTech in GIS at BCIT (British Columbia Institute of Technology).  Graduation requires that I do a project, which I just got.  This project will create a web map using open source GIS software.

Can anyone out there please suggest some good open source software?  How does it compare with ArcGIS?  Also web mapping, any good examples or advice to follow?

Thanks!

Sean

CdnGISProf
(Stranger )
11/09/11 08:50 AM
Re: Open Source GIS? Recommendations [re: sean2me]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Check out GeoNetwork (http://geonetwork-opensource.org/).  Open source web mapping cannot be compared to proprietary desktop software such as ArcGIS - like comparing apples to oranges.

neilgcrisp
(Stranger )
11/10/11 03:36 PM
Re: Open Source GIS? Recommendations new [re: sean2me]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Hi Sean,

A good place to start is the OSGeo-Live 5.0 DVD.  This is a bootable DVD that takes you straight into a prepared system containing many open source GIS software projects already set up for you so that you can try them all out and determine which ones are useful for your particular project.  You can download it from the OSGeo site at: http://live.osgeo.org then copy the iso to DVD or USB depending on what you prefer to boot from.

Comparing open source and proprietary software depends on what you are trying to achieve.  I like the freedom that open source gives you just to  download, explore and use.  They generally rely on open standards so different packages can be made to work together.  There is no proprietary lock-in and no danger of the licence running out at awkward times and having to jump through all sorts of hoops to renew the licence.  I find the software generally mature enough these days for serious use, especially for a university project if that is what you are using it for.

Good luck.

Neil.

jmd1975
(Stranger )
11/11/11 06:00 PM
Re: Open Source GIS? Recommendations new [re: sean2me]Report this article as Inappropriate to us !!!Login to Reply

Have you tried GRASS?  I downloaded it and have only used a little bit, but it seems like a good program.  Finding documentation and tips online for it seems like it's pretty easy.

Jorge

Fremont, California

View all threadsNext thread*Threaded Mode
Jump to

Trimble
Teledyne Optech
CADalog.com - Countless CAD add-ons, plug-ins and more.

Internet Business Systems © 2016 Internet Business Systems, Inc.
595 Millich Dr., Suite 216, Campbell, CA 95008
+1 (408)-337-6870 — Contact Us, or visit our other sites:
AECCafe - Architectural Design and Engineering EDACafe - Electronic Design Automation TechJobsCafe - Technical Jobs and Resumes  MCADCafe - Mechanical Design and Engineering ShareCG - Share Computer Graphic (CG) Animation, 3D Art and 3D Models
  Privacy Policy